Rented a 50mm 1.4 for the weekend .....

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I went to my local shop to rent the Nikon 50mm 1.4D.

Unfortunately I have a D40 and I have to manual focus all the time.

I only got a chance to take a few pictures since the 50mm was not working to well for me at the Museum.

Do you guys have any recommendations for taking pictures in a museum. While having the Nikon 1.4D I was using my "no flash" settings, Manual, Aperture settings. It was a challenge.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

What f stop were you shooting these in? My guess is 1.4 or so. It looks like you have some focus issues.

The more light you let in the shallower your d.o.f...change your apperature for more sharper looking pictures..an apperature of 1.4 makes it very hard to take a picture of a painting and have it in focus..your best bet would be to use a tripod and use a smaller apperature.

The more light you let in the shallower your d.o.f...change your apperature for more sharper looking pictures..an apperature of 1.4 makes it very hard to take a picture of a painting and have it in focus..your best bet would be to use a tripod and use a smaller apperature.

Oh man!

I figure with it being indoors I would wants a larger opening. Maaaaan!!

Unfortunately the museums don't allow tripods. :grumpy:

Oh man!

I figure with it being indoors I would wants a larger opening. Maaaaan!!

Unfortunately the museums don't allow tripods. :grumpy:

It's all relative. Shoot up close, and you have to be very careful what your subject is. Pull it back, and you can get more of your subject into the shot that is in focus. Kick up the iso, and you're good to go. F/1.4 indoors is very usable.

It's all relative. Shoot up close, and you have to be very careful what your subject is. Pull it back, and you can get more of your subject into the shot that is in focus. Kick up the iso, and you're good to go. F/1.4 indoors is very usable.

Sounds goood!

I'll give that a try!

How can I get results w/o the yellowish tint?

Custom white balance will sort that.

The tint is from the colour of light output from the lights in the room

You need to be very careful with your focus using f1.4.

Focus on the eyes in a portrait(see dog image where the nose is in focus but eyes are oof).....

The yellowish is caused by the relatively low intensity ambient indoor light..

Change the color temperature in the camera if you can, or filter it out in PP,,

Some people like the warmth of indoor shots with a bit of yellow cast..

Set a correct WB.
Anyhow, have you looked at one that can AF with the D40, like the new 50 1.4 g?

Most reactions

Back