Renting a Calibrator | Which one?

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to rent a color calibrator to try out and am wondering which to go with? Borrow Lenses has the Spyder 3 and the X-Rite ColorMunki available for rental.

Questions:
1. Is there a reason I should go with one over the other?
2. I'm red/green color blind so my ability to distinguish nuanced tints and whatnot is diminished a bit. Is the color calibration something that I'm going to be able to do or will I need to have someone sit with me through the process?

Eventually, I realize I'll need to pick one of these up to have on hand but I'd prefer to just rent one for the time being...

Thanks!

Most print labs and many pro photographers and editors recommend the X-Rite ColorMunki.
A display needs to be re-calibrated about once a month and whenever the ambient light falling on the display changes.

Haha! So with a laptop I should just constantly have one connected then? :) I guess I'll rent the ColorMunki. Although, the price difference between that one and the Spyder for purchase is pretty considerable.

$20 for the Spyder and $48 for the Munki. For a week...

What's the cost to rent them ?

I am selling my Spyder3 Express soon.

Keep me in mind when you decide to move forward...depending on pricing I may take it off your hands. I'm assuming you're moving to something else?

PM me if you are interested in buying my Spyder.

I upgraded to a Spyder4 Pro

You might want to search your local craigslist. You can often find calibration systems there. I would not buy or use a Spyder older than the Spyder 3. The 2 and older were pretty bad. Do you have a quality IPS display panel/screen in your laptop? If not, keep your expectations low in regard to the benefits you will get with a laptop screen. Been there, done that!

Doug

You might want to search your local craigslist. You can often find calibration systems there. I would not buy or use a Spyder older than the Spyder 3. The 2 and older were pretty bad. Do you have a quality IPS display panel/screen in your laptop? If not, keep your expectations low in regard to the benefits you will get with a laptop screen. Been there, done that!

Doug

I always forget about Craigslist... :)

I'm using a MacBook Pro laptop. I saw some results on here from D-B-J when he calibrated his monitor and I just got some prints back that were a bit underexposed and colored weird. So, I figure now is a good time to look into doing this.

The ColorMunki (what I use) needs to recalibrate about once per month, and pops up a reminder to let you know. It does not need to recalibrate due to ambient light changes because it takes that into account every few minutes automatically anyway.

It is good for displays only. If you also need to calibrate scanners and/or printers, you will need to do more research. I used to use a Monaco EZ Color Optix XR that calibrated everything like that, that was a a few operating systems ago, and I sold it on ebay when I needed to upgrade to keep up with a new OS. I don't know what the current offerings for that complete of a calibration setup are.

That is the more expensive spectrophotometer and it can not only calibrate/profile a computer display, it can also profile printers, scanners, projectors.
A colorimeter is much less expensive and can't be used with so many types of devices.

For $89 you can buy a X-Rite ColorMunki Smile
Or for $169 you can buy a X-Rite ColorMunki Display
The one you are considering renting is a $459 X-Rite ColorMunki Photo

I would recommend you aspire to the ColorMunki Display because it detects how much ambient light is falling on the display. The less expensive Smile doesn't.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
>>MacBook Pro laptop<<

Good to hear. The recent MBPs I have seen do have IPS displays that are worthy of the time to calibrate!

Doug

Most reactions

New Topics

Back