Renting Lenses

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need something wider than an 18-55mm for a school newspaper assignment and I was looking into the Nikon 12-24mm f/2.8 and the 12-24mm f/4 DX.

I wanted to know which one to rent. I'd be using it on a D90/DX and it would be used to shoot in an industrial setting, mainly a dark ass boiler room in my school.

The only reason for me to get the 2.8 is because it is faster, however, I will be using a flash.

I would probably rent from BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental because it has good ratings on rr.com

Did you mean 14-24 f/2.8?

Personally, both being Nikon lenses, either one would probably have IQ good enough for a school newspaper. Since you're using flash, i'd just rent the least expensive one, unless you want the extra f-stops for DOF.

Yeah the first lens you list is a 14-24 f/2.8. You would be better off with the 12-24 DX for the D90. That way you would get the full field with it. With the other you have to adjust for the crop factor.

^^ +1.

The only caveat is if your "flash" is the on-board flash. If so, definitely get the cheaper lens, maybe even the Sigma 10-20mm or the Tokina 11-17mm and add $$ for a SB-600 or 800. On-board flash + wide angle lens = bad light.

I bought a flash less than 3 weeks ago, the SB-800.

Whoops, always bad at reading labels :p Yea, I guess the DX would make more sense, considering I have a DX body.

Hey guys-

Just a quick reminder....

DX lenses don't have a different effect on the focal length of the lens. The "crop factor" happens to both lenses equally. Essentially, these lenses will have nearly the exact same FOV on your D90. (Naturally, the 12 will be 2mm wider than the 14, but you get my drift)

DX only means that the image circle the lens projects is smaller. That means the lens itself can be made lighter & smaller. However, Nikon does not factor in the crop factor when they list the focal length of a lens. The listed focal length is the same whether you put it on an FX or a DX body. Clearly, you would have massive vignetting if you put a DX lens on an FX body (unless the body down-rezzes because of it), but the focal length hasn't changed.

Assuming no mathematical "conversions" have been made, Focal length = focal length = focal length. That is true whether you're talking about the smallest point & shoot or an 8x10 field camera. It purely describes the physical geometry of the lens, and is completely unaffected by which camera system you're using. (See the Wikipedia entry for "Focal Length" for the math I'm talking about)

The difference lies in how the sensor (or film) "sees" the image circle that is projected by the lens.

I realize this is a little outside the bounds of your discussion, but thought it was important to mention.

BOTH of those lenses will have the 1.5x crop factor applied to their focal lengths when mounted to your D90, not just the 14-24.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

I bought a flash less than 3 weeks ago, the SB-800.

Whoops, always bad at reading labels :p Yea, I guess the DX would make more sense, considering I have a DX body.

RentalInfo beat me to it, but I was going to mention basically what he did.. that both lenses will have the same crop factor. The fact that it's DX doesn't really make a difference for your purposes.

Nono, I know they have that focal length is focal length, but the 2mm will help on my DX body. 18mm [crop 1.5x] vs 21mm [crop 1.5x].

I'll probably go with the 12-24mm considering I'm using a flash.

i have used both, and the Nikon 14-24 is far better in color contrast, speed, and AF. . (when comparing to the 12-24). . .

I've rented both from borrowlenses.com as well, I think I have a coupon if you need it - I haven't used it (like $5.00 off or something). . .let me know, good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back