Repeating streaks on negatives

So that rules out bromide drag and just leaves agitation (I think).

Which dilution did you use, and how were you agitating?

What developer is the OP using? I don't believe s/he has mentioned it (if it was mentioned, I missed it).
Dunno, but if it is bromide drag, it's not possible that he was using Rodinal, because there's no bromide in Rodinal (or AFAIK any other stand developer). Nor would surge marks make sense, because you barely agitate it.

So probably something typical like D-76 or whatnot.

I am amused at how fast you've changed your mind on this...I do not think you've developed much 35mm film...in one post you're POSITIVE that it's bromide drag...and then in less than 10 minutes, you're backpedaling and hedging your bets.

Then you say, "If it's bromide drag it's not possible that he was using Rodinal, because there's no bromide in Rodinal.."

In not too surprising fashion, of course, you "diagnosed" his developer as "probably something typical like D-76 or whatnot."

But then, doggone it, the OP came in and said he was actually using Rodinal.

Your diagnostic skills need some honing... You kill me Jar-Jar Gavbenks!!!

I use a ton of Rodinal. Check out my Flickr stream if you don't believe me - you'll notice that the Rodinal set has nearly twice as many photos as any other developer set. Not "a lot", but I don't put everything I shoot on Flickr, and I have a lot of private stuff.

The less diluted the developer, the more it matters how you agitate. 1+25 requires very gentle agitation. A 1+100 stand, on the other hand, I agitate the **** out of it for a solid minute, then don't touch it for an hour.

Years ago I recall having the similar marks. In my case it was considered overdevelopment at the perforation holes. I was too aggressive with my rocking and rolling and the developer circulated too much through the holes. I also think that the reel was poorly designed. In the end I replaced the tank with a JOBO and my routine evolved into 3 complete inversions at the beginning, then gently rocking the tank in multiple directions for 30 seconds, then another 3 complete inversions at the end of every 30 second interval. I only use D-76.

Naw I havent developed a ton of 35mm, but i have done enough to have gotten bromide drag and it looked exactly like that.

Guess not *shrug* Surge marks still sounds strange if he is being really gentle though. They are also just so neatly traced out.

Fixer is also a possible culprit. If under-agitated, it could seep (evenly and straight in the lack of agitation) through the sprocket holes more quickly than non-hole areas, correctly removing the unexposed halides under the holes, whereas the areas not under the sprocket holes don't get fixed enough, and then the halides fog when you turn on the lights. Leading to light colored streaks like seen here. Similar cause as bromide drag, different chemistry.

Even if you're doing low agitation or stand development with your Rodinal, you should be fully agitating during the fixer stage still. Are you doing that?

Guess not *shrug* Surge marks still sounds strange if he is being really gentle though. They are also just so neatly traced out.

Hard to know if what someone says is 'gentle' agitation actually is gentle...

What I consider gentle may not be 'gentle' to you (though, my 'gentle' is pretty damn gentle).

With stand development, I have seen something similar happen - without what I would call 'aggressive' agitation during the first minute, you can have a similar problem.

I agitated during development and fixing with more vigor, seemed to do the trick. I'm assuming it was a fixing issue that is now fixed (bad pun).

Are you doing stand development? Or "regular"?

1+25, 1+50, 1+100...?

The developer is the only step that I really pay attention to how I agitate... I know it's not good advice or anything, but that's the only part where I'm really careful to pay attention to what I'm doing. Fixer, I give it 10 seconds of 'aggressive' agitation every minute, for 10 minutes.

Stand developing, to me, is sort of the opposite of "regular" developing. Instead of being gentle, you have to really agitate it in the first minute or you'll get uneven development. And then, with the 1+25 dilution, you'll get the same thing if you're not gentle enough...

Not saying that I understand it or know why it happens, just sharing my observations.

There is one more possible thing, a light leaking developing tank.

I use a ton of Rodinal. Check out my Flickr stream if you don't believe me - you'll notice that the Rodinal set has nearly twice as many photos as any other developer set. Not "a lot", but I don't put everything I shoot on Flickr, and I have a lot of private stuff.

The less diluted the developer, the more it matters how you agitate. 1+25 requires very gentle agitation. A 1+100 stand, on the other hand, I agitate the **** out of it for a solid minute, then don't touch it for an hour.

Thats strange because this shot is 1+100 5 gentle agitations then put in fridge for 1 hour

Scan-130908-0009-XL.jpg

Thats strange because this shot is 1+100 5 gentle agitations then put in fridge for 1 hour
Well, I didn't say that it happens every time. Just that I've seen it happen, and it seemed to be from too little agitation.

Most reactions

Back