Flavio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I have a Nikon D610, but sometimes I leave it at home because of it's weight and size. So I'm considering to buy a mirrorless with similar photo quality. I'm thinking of the Fujifilm X-T20.

Would I get used to the diferent controls as overall of the camera quickly?
Would I notice less photo quality?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Best regards.

I went from Nikon 7100 to Fuji XT2 and am happy with the switch. I was tempted by the Xt20 but didn't want only the one SD slot - I like to shoot raw + jpeg on separate cards. I find the Fuji controls to be very intuitive and not as menu driven as the Nikon. Originally I had planned to keep the Nikon gear for my more "serious" photos (I'm a hobbyist not a pro) and use the Fuji for vacations and family stuff but I soon realized that there was nothing that the Nikon could do for me that the Fuji couldn't so ended up selling all my Nikon stuff and buying a couple of additional Fuji lenses. I'm very happy with the photo quality, especially the jpegs and very rarely need to use the raw files. With the lighter weight and smaller profile, I take my camera with me all the time now instead of just for photo specific outings.

What do you shoot?
Are you a pro or hobbyist?
Will you switch or keep both?

I can't comment on Fuji just to say lots here use them and are very happy and I've seen many lovely photos taken with them (I even have one on my wall ;) @SquarePeg ).

How many Nikon lenses do you have. I recently got rid of a small system and stuck with buying a Nikon d5600. Small, tidy, your existing lenses may work if they have built in motors. A small standard zoom might see you right. It might or might not be a better option than changing complete system

Edit- I meant add a smaller Nikon to existing system

Last edited:
Nikon D610 vs Fujifilm X-T20

Some good info there. I think in lower light, or at higher ISO levels, the Nikon D610 will do better, because it has bigger pixels on a very good full-frame sized sensor. I have a D610; the image quality is extremely good, better than any APS-C camera I think that's ever been made. Still...24-MP on 1.5x is nice for tele-type work, needing shorter lenses to get tight, frame-filling close-ups.

I think you'd get used to the Fuji camera fairly quickly. The battery on the Nikon is superb, the Fuji much less-so. I think if you want a smaller camera, you ought to get a smaller camera.

The XT20 is probably the best value on the market. Fuji glass is amazing. External controls make it a breeze to operate. You can literally put shutter dial on A (Aperture priority) and go from there. The majority of Fuji glass have aperture rings. You can also adapt your current glass fairly cheap, G series glass will take the more expensive adapter. Manual focus is a breeze on Fuji with there focus peaking highlights feature. The Fujifilm 18-55 kit lens is not chinzy like the Nikon is, it's a real nice lens. You can get them cheaper, used. Any lens you choose for Fujifilm is going to be splendid. Their primes are amazing. I own the XT2 /battery grip and X-Pro 2. The XT20 was too small for my hands. Lens lineup, 16, 23, 18-55, 60, 80, 50-140, 55-200, 100-400, and the tc1.4. the TC 1.4 works on the 80, 50-140, and 100-400.

Another bonus is with their firmware updates. These come out 3-4 times a year and are significant updates. Lenses also receive updates, just not as often.

I bought an a6000 to travel with so I could leave the D610 at home. suffice to say I sold the a6000 and now planning to travel with the D800 rofl.

IQ wasn't the problem, I just don't like shooting with the small camera using the OVF -- it feels unnatural, and I could never get used to the focusing method and clumsy controls.

I went from Nikon 7100 to Fuji XT2 and am happy with the switch. I was tempted by the Xt20 but didn't want only the one SD slot - I like to shoot raw + jpeg on separate cards. I find the Fuji controls to be very intuitive and not as menu driven as the Nikon. Originally I had planned to keep the Nikon gear for my more "serious" photos (I'm a hobbyist not a pro) and use the Fuji for vacations and family stuff but I soon realized that there was nothing that the Nikon could do for me that the Fuji couldn't so ended up selling all my Nikon stuff and buying a couple of additional Fuji lenses. I'm very happy with the photo quality, especially the jpegs and very rarely need to use the raw files. With the lighter weight and smaller profile, I take my camera with me all the time now instead of just for photo specific outings.

What do you shoot?
Are you a pro or hobbyist?
Will you switch or keep both?

Hi SquarePeg!
I'm a hobbyist also, most of my photos are family/friends and travel.
I was thinking of selling the D610, then buy the Fuji, but I'm not sure.
I'm going to a store and try out the Fuji to see if I can make my mind :)
I really aprecciate your reply ;-)

Nikon D610 vs Fujifilm X-T20

Some good info there. I think in lower light, or at higher ISO levels, the Nikon D610 will do better, because it has bigger pixels on a very good full-frame sized sensor. I have a D610; the image quality is extremely good, better than any APS-C camera I think that's ever been made. Still...24-MP on 1.5x is nice for tele-type work, needing shorter lenses to get tight, frame-filling close-ups.

I think you'd get used to the Fuji camera fairly quickly. The battery on the Nikon is superb, the Fuji much less-so. I think if you want a smaller camera, you ought to get a smaller camera.

Hi Derrel!

Yes, the D610 is great in terms of pic quality and lower light photography. That's what's keeping me from selling it...I'll have to try out the Fuji to see if I get convinced...
Thanks a lot for the reply, I really apreciate it ;-)

X-T20 is a good camera, D610 main advantage is low light performance, if you ok with losing about a stop of low light performance then you cant go wrong with the Fuji, its a good camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back