Replacement for the EF-S 18-55 IS

LeftyRodriguez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.leftyrodriguez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was wandering around downtown Dallas a couple of weeks ago and, like the klutz that I am, tripped and fell and broke the lens in the title of this thread. Not that great of a lens, I know, but decent enough for wandering around with and taking random shots. Since then, I've been using my 50mm 1.8 almost full time, but really miss the wider end of the broken lens. Keeping in mind that I'm on a budget, what's the best, cheapest replacement for this lens? I'm open to buying another like it, if that's the consensus, but if there's something better, let me know. What about the 28-105 IS? I'd be losing a bit of the wide end, but would it make a huge difference? Any ideas?

I love my Tamron 17-50 f2.8

or Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 for about $220

If you really want to go "all out" ... 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L ... all of these are a little over $1K each.

What is your budget?

If you can run to it, the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM is an excellent lens - not cheap though unfortunately. Mine is rarely off my 350D

What about the 28-105 IS? I'd be losing a bit of the wide end, but would it make a huge difference?
Yes, huge difference.

The EF-S 17-85 IS, is basically the 'digital' version of that lens. I recommend it, unless you want to get a really great lens, then the 17-55 F2.5 IS, is the best option.

Tamron also makes a 28-75 f2.8, I believe

Yes, huge difference.

The EF-S 17-85 IS, is basically the 'digital' version of that lens. I recommend it, unless you want to get a really great lens, then the 17-55 F2.5 IS, is the best option.

Ack, your ambiguousness has confounded me...which one are you recommending?

If it's the wide end of the broken lens you're missing, settling for a 28mm (which isn't wide at all on a cropped sensor) isn't going to cut it.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 lens is brilliant, but it's very expensive. It'd help to know your budget so someone can recommend the best lens for your money.

17-85 IS ... good lens
17-55 f/2.8 IS - GREAT lens ... over $1K though

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ack, your ambiguousness has confounded me...which one are you recommending?
Depends on your budget.

The cheapest replacement would be the original 18-55mm lens (non IS)...plenty of them around because people don't like them.

There are several better options but what are you willing to spend?

If you really really really like wide angle.. maybe a 10-22 might be in the cards for you. That's a heck of a lens, especially for people who like UWA.

If you really really really like wide angle.. maybe a 10-22 might be in the cards for you. That's a heck of a lens, especially for people who like UWA.

It is indeed. And only $700. Though that may be a lot to you yanks; it's $1000 over here in the UK, roughly. Damn you, Britain!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back