replacing kit glass

jkopp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'd like to replace the 18-55 on my canon 350 to something with more zoom(up to 300??) and MACRO capable(i'd like to be able to photograph commercial products.

Does sigma make glass that fits the bill?

Reason I ask for sigma is because i recently purchased the 10-22 sigma and it was a bit less than the canon ... can i get into a sigma a bit less than canon for this type of glass?

thanks in advance

i would also consider getting a seprate macro(maybe 50mm) and telezoom lens if it made more sense. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to glass...which is why i'm asking you guys for help!

I recommend a lens like the Tamron 70-300 Macro. Very cheap and I hear good things about it, it's not really a "true" macro lens but it can definitely focus pretty close to stuff.

I would reccomend the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. Great lens for the money and the 1:2 Macro feature is very handy. I have this lens and have taken both nice macros and nice animal shots from the Sigma.

Either of those lenses are great, and perform well. Just one thing, though. I thought that unless a lens had a true 1:1 reproduction ratio, it wasn't allowed be be called a macro lens...

Jkopp, yes you can get the zoom range with non-OEM lenses but if you want real macro you will be limited. Look into extension tubes for your camera. They are just empty tubes with nothing to get in the way or distort your image and will greatly increase the close focus capability of your lens (read that magnification).

You can pretty much fill the frame with a penny with them.

Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. Great lens for the money and the 1:2 Macro feature is very handy. I have this lens and have taken both nice macros and nice animal shots from the Sigma.

Tip there is a cheape sigma 70-300mm DH macro without the APO glass and as a user of this lens I say avoid it! Its only a little cheaper than the APO version and yet the quality and ease of use is vastly different (that little red ring is very very important ;))

That said overall its a good combination lens if you are short of cash and wanting to experiment in both zooming and macro

Most reactions

Back