Reputation System

Well, I can appreciate that point of view. Unless you were around TPF during that time frame, it's difficult to explain how something seemingly so innocent could just go awry.

What began as something that was used sparingly by members at first, and only in response to helpful posts, simply snowballed. People - usually a group of friends - were giving each other rep points for no reason other than to see a lot of pretty bars by their names. There were even posts about getting some rep points - shout outs in the OT forum "anyone want to throw some rep points my way? I will reciprocate!"

As Chiller said, it turned into another sort of OT game, which certainly didn't help any newcomers find answers of any value. Corry is correct when she says not to expect to see that function turned back on here. ;)

To the OP: if you want to give someone feedback on a good, informative post, either shoot that member a PM or thank them publicly within the thread. It's always nice to read these kinds of exchanges with our members! :)

My response was to him saying that a reputation system sounded like a popularity contest. He wasn't referring to the past attempt at the reputation system. I understand how members took advantage of it, but at NamePros.com, the forum I mentioned with a working reputation system there are many rules that are actively enforced to make it work.

Here are a few rules that make that system work:
(qtd in http://www.namepros.com/faq.php?faq=namepros#faq_rep_system)

Can I leave Reputation Points more than once?

Reputation ratings only count after that user has rated 19 other members. Meaning you can't rate the same person twice in a row, you'll have to rate 20 members. This cuts down on the effect of users who may have grudge against certain users or purposely intend to raise or lower reputation scores of others.

Can I offer or ask for Reputation Points?

You're welcome to give rep points to whomever you choose within our system limits, however rep points are not a commodity. You may not publicly offer rep points as a form of compensation, nor should you demand or beg for them. It is acceptable to say "rep points are appreciated", but it should be left to the giver's own judgement. Do not use the rep points system to insult users or as a method of revenge. If a member is breaking a forum rule, please report it using the "Report Post" (
report.gif
) button in the post.

What is Reputation Power?

Every user has "reputation power" to give reputation to others, this equals the number of points that is given when they leaves positive reputation on others.

Reputation power is determined by several factors including length of membership, number of posts, and their own reputation score. A new user with 10 posts would likely have reputation power of 1.
With the moderators following these rules, it's pretty impossible for the system to be abused.

Well, I think a rep point system may well be enjoyed on forums where it works (loads of mod work involved), but life will also continue to be a happy one on those (i.e. ours here) without said system, where it had proved it would not work, I think.

Plus I feel that TPF has way too high a fluctuation of members (many, many coming, almost equally many going every day/week/month) to really be profiting from any of this.

I don't think it's really needed here anyway. After you've been on here a month or two (probably doesn't even take that long) you know who's advise to pay close attention to.

My response was to him saying that a reputation system sounded like a popularity contest. He wasn't referring to the past attempt at the reputation system. I understand how members took advantage of it, but at NamePros.com, the forum I mentioned with a working reputation system there are many rules that are actively enforced to make it work.

Here are a few rules that make that system work:
(qtd in http://www.namepros.com/faq.php?faq=namepros#faq_rep_system)

With the moderators following these rules, it's pretty impossible for the system to be abused.
But we don't want to follow those rules. :mrgreen: We're like that.

Thanks for the links, but I'm aware of how the system works. Here is our stance: anything that involves helicopter-moderatoring (hover over the members! Hover over the site!) isn't likely to get much credence here. We spend more time encouraging our members to make this site as member-driven as possible, stepping in only when there appears to be infractions of guidelines. We let the rep-point system alone, as well - even playing along, as Hertz mentions. ;) (We're admittedly boring moderators, overall, but we like to play sometimes.) It was a mistake, we watched the system go nowhere but down, so it's gone. It is wonderful to know that it can be used for its stated purpose - kudos to Namepros. :thumbup:

I seem to remember that the Admins abused the system in a big way for comic effect. ;-)
It was fun! :p But part of why it couldn't last, of course.

Any system that 'rates' people very quickly proves to have no use but becomes a vehicle for envy or politics.
Personally, I think we should dispense with the post count too.
We should all appear equal and just let our words judge us. :mrgreen:
Hear, hear. :hail: People worry about post counts too much, equating a high count with high status - akin to the rep points. Excepting Corinna, (who we all know has no equal 'round here), ;) that is a false assumption.

Maybe I should go flip a switch back there. How fun. :boogie:

But we don't want to follow those rules. :mrgreen: We're like that.

Thanks for the links, but I'm aware of how the system works. Here is our stance: anything that involves helicopter-moderatoring (hover over the members! Hover over the site!) isn't likely to get much credence here. We spend more time encouraging our members to make this site as member-driven as possible, stepping in only when there appears to be infractions of guidelines. We let the rep-point system alone, as well - even playing along, as Hertz mentions. ;) (We're admittedly boring moderators, overall, but we like to play sometimes.) It was a mistake, we watched the system go nowhere but down, so it's gone. It is wonderful to know that it can be used for its stated purpose - kudos to Namepros. :thumbup:

It was fun! :p But part of why it couldn't last, of course.

Hear, hear. :hail: People worry about post counts too much, equating a high count with high status - akin to the rep points. Excepting Corinna, (who we all know has no equal 'round here), ;) that is a false assumption.

Maybe I should go flip a switch back there. How fun. :boogie:

Hey you...no flippin switches till I hit 8000. Taken me 5 years to get that far, not like all these newbie chatterboxes. :lol::lmao::lol::lmao:

you can add me to the no post count crew too... dont really see the point in a counter adding up all the comments iv made and showng me the number.... what difference does it make?!

As for rep points... it was fun for a short while, then became pointless.

why is it that only those with a post count of 5000 - and usually nearing 10000 are the only ones that don't want a counter - guilty feelings about posting so much perhapse ;)

No guilt on my end. :bigangel: I'm just a long-timer with a big mouth.

If you read what I said up there, high post counts are sometimes falsely associated with special status. As Hertz suggests, it could be far better to remove any type of system that, however indirectly, rates our members.

meh most forums tend to have spam sections (such as our off topic chat and certainly the game room) count as nothing towards post count. That leaves only the serious sections of the forum as counting towards post count - makes it harder to boost post counts by spam and sense less posts

On the SEO Chat forums, which are a subdivision of Developer Shed, there's a reputation system that works beautifully. And their forum is much more high profile than this one.

People with good rep get taken very seriously, people with bad rep don't. And those without much rep are cautiously taken seriously.

There are limits to the number of rep points you can give over a given amount of time.

meh most forums tend to have spam sections (such as our off topic chat and certainly the game room) count as nothing towards post count. That leaves only the serious sections of the forum as counting towards post count - makes it harder to boost post counts by spam and sense less posts
meh you must not be reading the same posts I do. :lol:

ooo! To that special place with the colored lights?? :clap:

Well...not really...this place is a lot darker...colder...and full of clowns. :mrgreen:

I did not even notice my post count , untill the other day, when I saw my thread and thought, ....how the hell did it get so high. :lol::lol:

Most reactions

Back