Request comments on making myself better

jshanki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have taken some more pictures in the night.
Photos - a set on Flickr
Request some inputs & comments on how to make pictures better without tripod !!
Thanks
Shankar
(Olympus SP-565UZ Digital).

Photo 230152 is the only one that's in focus. The last one needs some serious white balance work.

Pretty boring, snapshots, really.

Thanks for posting your photos.
If you don't want to use a tripod (however, you can buy a very small tripod that's easy to carry) you need a tripod substitute. People sometimes use bean-bags or something equivalent that they can put in their pockets. In your case this is not enough because your night-time exposures are probably measured in seconds. In that case you need something more stable. You'll want to rest your camera on a fence, tree branch, car roof or something stable. Then use the self timer to shoot (don't press the release button manually) because the monent you press the button, the camera shakes a little. Good luck!

Whether its a night photo, a day photo, an underwater photo...whatever. The basic rules of composition and what makes a photo interesting all apply.
Your pictures come off as snapshots without much thought put into the look and feel of the image. As you just stumbled accross some nice lights and snapped away.
That don't work. Review rules of photography to get an idea of composition, leading lines, symetry and so on.

As for night shots without a tripod, these are really hard to accomplish. If you insist on not having a tripod, you will need a camera that can go at a high ISO and a fast lens (wide aperture).

The one picture I looked into showed that you shot at f/5.6 with an ISO of 400. With low light conditions, that is giving you a really slow shutter speed of 1 second. Hand holding for 1 full second is really hard to do. You need a fast shutter speed which would be accomplished by having an f/1.8 or wider and ISO 1600-3200.
If you can't get those with your gear, use a tripod.

People sometimes use bean-bags or something equivalent that they can put in their pockets. In your case this is not enough because your night-time exposures are probably measured in seconds. In that case you need something more stable.

I routinely keep a bean bag in my case and I've successfully used it for exposures of ten to fifteen minutes. However, I do have a custom bean bag (I'm not trying to be funny). My wife's grandmother made it some thirty years ago. It took several tries to get it just the right size with the right quantity of beans.

Thanks all for your comments. I have a bigger tripod & will try and get a smaller one.

Thanks again.
Shankar

The one picture I looked into showed that you shot at f/5.6 with an ISO of 400. With low light conditions, that is giving you a really slow shutter speed of 1 second. Hand holding for 1 full second is really hard to do. You need a fast shutter speed which would be accomplished by having an f/1.8 or wider and ISO 1600-3200.
If you can't get those with your gear, use a tripod.

Try what bigtwinky said and see if it improves.

i think the picture is a bit lacking in a real theme or main subject. You took a picture of a strand of lighted bulbs at fast speeds, i did not find it too exciting, i think itd be cool if maybe you did the same but with a candle or something more original.

Just my two cents

Most reactions

New Topics

Back