Request for Assistance – Wedding Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ShutterVan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Upfront: I’m a hobbyist and only interested in enjoying photography as a hobbyist. I have more hobbies than I have time to perfect. Photography, I do it only for fun; however, I do enjoy helping people.

Problem: I have a request from a dear friend who can’t afford a pricy photographer for her wedding. While they think I’m talented – they are only seeing few of many pictures I’ve taken. Not to mention they are not seeing all of the technical issues a professional photographer adjusts for in real time and photo editing. I will have a heart-to-heart to ensure they know ahead of time. I don’t want to screw this up as you can’t replace priceless memories. I’d appreciate inputs.

Recommendations or Advice:

2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  3. stk

stk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say no.

Personally I think I could've done a decent job, but I would never take the risk unless I was 100% sure I could deliver. Probably a boring and defensive attitude, but then again, I've never screwed up a wedding.

4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Offer to help pay for a pro in lieu of a wedding gift of a toaster or coffee maker.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like that idea, it's great. Somehow I don't think I'm going to get off that easy.

6. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hence the reason for the heart-to-heart. I think I could probably do a decent job too. As far as risk, I believe that it's their risk to accept. And the saying holds true..."no good deed goes unpunished," help one, help all. I'll enjoy taking pictures but want them to know the risk. I also the idea of everyone using the phone and sending them the pictures; however, I feel that method interferes with the sanctity of the ceremony.

7. zulu42

zulu42 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Been there, done that :)

flickr is blocked here, so I can't check out your work.

Only you can decide whether to go for it or not. I did, and here's the thread:
    So, I'm going to shoot a wedding

In my case, they would not hire a photographer, end of story. So, it was either me doing my best, or they would only have collective cell phone snaps from the attendees. I went for it.

It was not fun :)

The results were fine for them. Better than cell phone pics, but any legit pro would have blown my pics out of the water.
    Stress, big time. I didn't even list all my struggles in that thread lol.

All that being said, I delivered some decent photos to my friends. Made them a nice album, and that was my wedding gift. They were happy with the images. Also, I learned more in that hectic day of shooting than I did for the rest of the year.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then gang up on them. Tell them 6 or 8 or 10 of their friends/family are going to pool their gift money and pay for a pro. You'll have the happy couple outnumbered. Besides, who are they to tell YOU what gift you're going to give them?

• Like Like x 1
  9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If it's you or nothing, than there's not a lot to be lost by taking it on and doing your best. As others have mentioned, the best gift you could give them is talking them into hiring a professional, but some people can't or worn't - fair enough. At the end of the day, no one's going to die if a wedding isn't photographed "properly", but it's likely that some will regret it.

Assuming you do take it on, having looked at your Flickr page, I see lots of decent images of plants, and other static subjects. What I don't see are any images taken in extreme low light or using strobed light. This is what separates the men from the boys; the ability to work with the light you have and/or add to it. You will need at an absolute MINIMUM one good speedlight with a GN of at least 150, more is better; a way to get that light off of the camera, and fast lenses covering the ultra-wide (~14mm) to medium tele (~200mm) range. 2.8 at least, and faster is better. You need to know the layout of the wedding & reception venues cold,

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the circumstances were the same except the experience you gained; would you do it again?

11. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

<<Tirediron>> Your answer is exceptional, spot on and I appreciate it very much. You've probably been doing this for awhile now. You're correct on subjects - I like static photos; harder to mess those up. Low light is a huge challenge for me as well. I enjoy pulling the "points-to-ponder" out so that during our heart-to-heart I can make them aware as well. Again, thank you so much for your answer - it helps!

12. pjaye

pjaye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    No is a complete sentence. Just say no. I've said yes, twice. Both times really regretted it. It's an incredible amount of work, both shooting and editing, and a lot of stress. Just say no. If they really want pictures, they will find a way to afford it.

Now, I just say no.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Your offering them a very expensive wedding gift. When is the wedding?
    How does what they are planning to spend on photography compare to the rest of the details (dress, venue, catering, flowers, etc).

I have been to a number of weddings where the bride and groom are on a tight budget and hire a photographer to cover just the church ceremony, usually including a few family group shots in the church at the end of the ceremony.

Of course you can go ahead and do it, if nothing else it will make it easier to say no next time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1