[Researching:] Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II

mrmacedonian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, my enjoyment of landscape photography had led me down the path of trying to find a wide-angle lens that fits my needs. In a previous thread I considered getting a 28mm f/1.8 so it may be useful as a walk-around (~45mm equivalent on my 1.6x crop) and in some low light situations, but primarily as my wide(r) angle landscape lens. Since then, I'm been looking through Tamron's glass and this 10-24mm peaked my interest.

I read reviews from B&H customers, Amazon customer, DPReview.com. This lens looks like it would get what I want done and coming in a 470$ on B&H I would say its an obtainable item sometime in the next year.

So, I've done a bit of research but I thought I'd post on here and see if anyone has any experience with this lens or has any better performing/better reviewed lenses I may consider.

references:

Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II

Digital Photography Review: Tamron 10-24mm

If I going to get the ultrawide angle lens for cropped body, I think I will go with the older Sigma 10-20mm.

LOL, I just post this link in the other thread.
Juza Nature Photography

I can not give you an advice, but just a review on a brand (as a user). I own a 70-300 mm Tamron lens and I liek it a lot. A good photographer that I know suggested to get Tamrom over Sony (my camera brand), because he uses Tamron and never had complains about this company lenses.

P.S. Do you by chance speak Russian?

I can not give you an advice, but just a review on a brand (as a user). I own a 70-300 mm Tamron lens and I liek it a lot. A good photographer that I know suggested to get Tamrom over Sony (my camera brand), because he uses Tamron and never had complains about this company lenses.

P.S. Do you by chance speak Russian?

Yeah I own a Tamron 18-270mm and it certainly is a nice lens, which is what led me to consider the 10-24mm. I looked at all the test images @dpreview.com specifically the ones they say best represent the flaws and my eye is nowhere near good enough at this point to consider them relevant in a practical sense.

No sorry I do not speak Ruski :( I speak Macedonian, French, understand Spanish, and understand most of the Balkan languages but Russian I pick up 1-2 words per sentence it seems :-\ My family moved here when I was about seven months old so I never really got the exposure. We've always spoken Macedonian here at home but the only one who knows Russian is my mother, so that makes for limited learning. I'm currently working on Italian :)

I see! Wow! You language skills is amazing to me! I asked because your name is a popular Russian name.

If I were considering an ultrawide now, I might wait until the newly announced Sigma 8-16 becomes available (and, in fact, if it turns out to be any good and not outrageously expensive...

Interesting I had not heard of such a thing! Yeah like I said any amount of lens-money takes a good long while to make a reality so I'm not rushing or by any means set on this Tamron. I just own the 18-270mm and love it (when i'm outdoors in the sunlight and my subject isn't moving >_<).

I'll keep my eyes open for the reviews/prices of that as they come in. I look around and don't see many people going under 10mm and even the camera manufacturers I see having CA and Barrel Distortion issues pretty standard @10mm so I wonder how good the 8-16mm @8mm will fare?

Thanks for the input :)

You language skills is amazing to me!

Haha... yeah notice I said 'speak' :p In general I have the ear to pick up languages fairly easily and be able to carry on a conversation verbally. That being said, my writing capacity in any of them (english included >_<) is incredibly limited. In my defense you don't really need to write well to hit on the native women right? :p

I'll keep my eyes open for the reviews/prices of that as they come in. I look around and don't see many people going under 10mm and even the camera manufacturers I see having CA and Barrel Distortion issues pretty standard @10mm so I wonder how good the 8-16mm @8mm will fare?

Thanks for the input :)

The Sigma (or mine anyway) doesn't have CA issues at 10mm. It does have issues with geometric distortion, but that's part of what makes an UWA interesting.

Most reactions

Back