Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I am wondering what the situation is with resizing photos and subsequently posting them on the internet.

Few Q's

1. What is the norm size people resize to in order to keep the photo size small but retain quality for viewing?

2. When upoading to a photo site such as Flickr is there any advantage to uploading a 5mb jpg Vs a much smaller file size?

3. If you were uploading photos to a personals website like facebook, bebo or myspace would you go with the size in Q.1 or would you make the files even smaller?

4. Does Q3 make any sense?

Thanks very much for any help

T

There are two factors when preparing images for web viewing. The first is size, I usually resize them to less than 800 pixels, unless I know that they should be smaller. The second factor is the compression/quality setting. I've usually step down the quality slider to 8 or 9 (out of 12) but I've gone down to 6 and still didn't see any quality loss. These two factors together can make your file size quite small.

When uploading to some sites, you should be aware of their limits and if they will resize the image for you. A lot of people had trouble with Photobucket because there were uploading large files which were automatically being resized. If you keep your image withing the limits, most sites won't resize or compress them.

I do 800 on width usually and maximum quality. I allways use PNG's.

I usually upload larger on flickr though just cos I'm lazy. Does mean people can see the image full size BUT it also potentially is easier to have the images stolen.

I resize images to 500 or 600 pixels (800 for panos) the long dimension using Adobe bicubic sharper, then save as quality 8 jpegs.

Microsoft Image Resizer
Let's you batch-re-size your images. You can do a whole folder at once, and it doesn't affect your original-it makes a new one with the size in the new picture title.

Most reactions

Back