resizing pics...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by aparis99, Nov 25, 2006.

1. aparis99

aparis99 TPF Noob!

What software do you all use to resize ur images? I'm under the impression that resizing causes some quality loss, at least from what i can tell with diagonal lines and such, they seem more jagged... maybe they dont i dont know.

I've seen the Windows resizer, photoshop kinda takes a while, Infranview is ok, anyone have any fav's?

Example: a pic that's 2-3mb, the windows resizer can make it 'large' 1024x768 and it will end up only like 40kb! How is that possible without losing quality?

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

It loses plenty of quality. You just can't see it because you are looking at a low resolution JPEG on a computer monitor. If you were looking at a print the difference would be obvious.

3. sp_key

sp_key TPF Noob!

Hi,

Are you talking about upscaling or downsclaing? For downsizing you really shouldn't tell a difference as long as you keep the original aspect ratio.

Resizing is a long debate amongst professionals and there are many parameters that affect the end quality. One of them is whether you are using a Bilinear, a Bicubic or a Lanczos resizer. You should try and use them all and make comparisons. As a rule bilinear resizers are softer than bicubic and Lanczos.

Photoshop's power comes from its extendable capabilities. There are hundreds of professional plugins designed having photographers in mind. I've seen a few plugins and they are very impressive. Unfortunatelly I cannot any in specific but you should be able to Google them very easily. Just add them to Photoshop and try them before you make a decision to purchase. Some of them might even be free.

Googling ''photoshop plugins + resizing'' came with a few links. One of them is: http://www.fredmiranda.com/RP/
    also: http://photoshop.pluginsworld.com/plugin.php?directory=adobe&software=photoshop&plugin=188

Bear in mind that you achive best results by creatively mixing plugins.

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well depnding on by which fraction of the original you downscale, and by the algorithm you use, you might lose sharpness when downscaling. But a hint of PS-sharpening then does the job to compensate.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a lossy process, take that old pic and zoom it to 400% to see the effect of what resizing has done. Whereas the old picture may be 1024x768 at 25% zoom, at 100% it should still be sharp.

Also I use a Lanczos based resizer. It gives me so far the nicest image from all. Photoshop has not got one yet though.

6. aparis99

aparis99 TPF Noob!

any links on the stuff you are talkin about?

7. sp_key

sp_key TPF Noob!

8. aparis99

aparis99 TPF Noob!

I'm pretty much just wanting to downsize everything, i take all pics superfine and they are just too large, i use them mainly for web, rarely print, but maybe some 4x6's here and there, maybe i should just make the resolution on the camera smaller?

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ahhh. noo never do that!

you might bitterley regret if you want to make a large print from one of them next year.
    someone might ask you if he could have a higher resolution version for a magazine or anything can happen ... therefore: always archive at the native resolution of your camera ... with maximum information in the image.

10. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have PS - you can either set up your files to be batch-processed (and thus resized), or you can create a PS ACTION to do it all within PS.

11. aparis99

aparis99 TPF Noob!

Well, i've used PS CS2 but go for so long w/o using it i forget everything. so right now i've got Photoshop Elements 5... i'll figure out a way