resizing pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by keystervr6, May 22, 2008.

1. keystervr6

keystervr6 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    so when i take pics with my p&s at 6mp, the pics come out huge on my computer screen....oh, and i have NO software, mainly because I've just gotten into taking more than just snap shots...anyways, i use microsofts picture editor to resize them to a smaller viewing size.

is this killing any quality?

also, i host my pics at photobucket, i've heard some complaints about that site compressing and causing issues...

what do you guys do to get your pics down to sizes seen on the interwebs?

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a program if got kind of illegitmatly, so im not gonna give you much info. I choose a file of pics and it makes an identical folder with all resized pics. Another thing you can do is download the "power toy" from microsoft that does something similar. Or you can just do it in photoshop. Of course you will lose quality since its making it smaller. But this isnt bad, you normally dont want hi res shots on the web so they cant be used by other people for serious things like advertising

3. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

That depends on what app you use. In Photoshop you go to Image –> Image size... and you fill in the dimensions and values of your choice, then hit Enter. That's it. Many apps have a similar, but slightly different set up. Variations on a theme.

4. keystervr6

keystervr6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

the microsoft app i use has the same setup, i don't wanna pony up for photoshop just yet...

i was just wondering what everyone else does to put their pics in smaller formats

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gimp =)

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

You may also want try this

Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
    http://www.gimp.org/

GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

7. keystervr6

keystervr6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha, i thought you were calling me a gimp for not knowing...:D