resizing

peanut170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
had my first go at photoshop, did about as well as i know how to do so wanted to post to flickr, but it said it was too large (obviously) so i went to resize, changed the width to 800 and it automatically changed the height to 562, and it successfully uploaded to flickr. now what if i want to make a couple prints of this pic, is the smaller size gonna make a difference if im making like an 8x10, can i change it back to burn to cd or does that mess with the quality changing it like that. should i have burned the cd first then resized. i have the original pic in the original size just would like to make prinys of the edited version in the original size.....did i already mess that up? any explanation is helpful, thank you.

Whenever I resize I save the smaller version as a copy just to be safe. I am pretty sure that resizing is permenant, but more experienced people might know of something that can be done.

Always keep the original. Always keep the original. Always... ;)

By resizing down to that level you throw away a large part of the image detail. If you reduce the width and height by 50% you have thrown away every other row and every other column, and are left with 25% of the information you started with. Using photoshop to enlarge it again isn't going to help because the information isn't there any more. It can only guess about what used to be there based on what remainins.

I'm sure KmH will correct me here if I mess up (!), but I believe you want somewhere around 200-300 PPI for a print to look good, so if you have 800x560 that gives you something around 4 inches x 3inches. If you print at 8x10 it's going to look softly focused and possibly grainy.

Last edited:
I keep my RAW original, a full size edited print copy and have a separate folder for just those I plan to resize to upload. Once you resize and save it there's no going back with that copy.

Most reactions

Back