Resizing

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Good morning :wink:

I have a Question about resizing a photo. I have this abstract photo that I want to enter in the contest. I only have an 8x10 photo to scan of it. Is it possible to resize this photo smaller without losing any of the quality? I tried to resize but it seemz that the more I try to do it , the worse it gets. I'm alittle new @ resizing a scanned photo that large. And need to resize the photo, at..... hmmm I think 72dpi. I sent it in last week and was told to resize it, I'm goin nutz trying to do so. Thx for any help.

did they give you exact specs on the size that they want it to be? Going smaller shouldn't lose quality

tr0gd0o0r said:
did they give you exact specs on the size that they want it to be? Going smaller shouldn't lose quality

Yeah it was like about 70K, got to get there from 2.74M. I'm gonna check out that link that Diarmuid put up.
Thx for replying.

Oh, you want to actually make the file size smaller....
yeah, you're going to definitly lose some quality, and i'm afraid my expertise has now officially been tapped, good luck. The only recommendation I have is to drop the dpi to 72 and scale the photo down.

This is what I'd do. Scan the photo at whatever dpi (try a couple different and see what works best)
Then take it into photoshop or gimp or something like that.
Resize the photo - so it is physically smaller (probably nothing bigger that 800x600 max!)
Then go "save for web" this will compress it more and cut it right down in size - without losing too much quality. You can change the settings heaps to get just the right adjustment.

Check out the Tutorials and photoshop help section for a few more pointers. Good luck!

Meysha said:
Yea thatz one of my problems.... I don't have photoshop. I'm using an old Adobe photo deluxe program, kinda cheesy. But I'll try Gimp and see what happens.
Thx all !

Ahh well once you've downloaded that if you get lost send me a msg and I'll send you the step by step. It can be a little confusing just because there's so much other stuff packed into these programs.

Meysha said:
Ahh well once you've downloaded that if you get lost send me a msg and I'll send you the step by step. It can be a little confusing just because there's so much other stuff packed into these programs.

Thx Meysha, I'm starting to think it can't be done without losing the quility of the photo. I spent hours on it and just can't get r done. I had problems downloading GIMP which made it more aggravating. My sister is sending me her photoshop7, should get it in the next couple of dayz , I hope. If I could only find the original 4x6 of that photo, this would be no prob. Anywayz , thx for you kindness . ;)

Yes downloading gimp is really weird and took me forever to figure out.
You need to download the first two files off this page. http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html Then install the first one listed first.

Actually - I've just been looking at Gimp - and I can't find a save for web option (maybe because that is actually a part of ImageReady)

yeah, i've been using gimp for a while (since I use linux and just finally got photoshop to work in it (what a pain)) and have never run across a save for web option. But you can drop the dpi and size independently of each other.

With the gimp, try this;
Reduce to 8x10 or 6x4 and make sure its a 72 DPI
then save it as title.jpg then theres an option of saving EXIF data, unclick it. See what that does for you. (i saved at 85% and it dropped from 2.9MB to like 300K (without resizing it from 30x40ish, when i did drop the size and resave it was like 30, but that was also another 85% loss)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back