RESOLUTION AND PRINT SIZE

StudioCari

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If someone sends me a photo on disc, what is the quickest way for me to see how large of an image I can print of it?

Take side of the file (i.e. a 3008x2008 pixel shot) and divide by a number between 240 (and maybe as low as 200 or 150) and 300. Dividing by 300 will give you the smallest but best quality shot where as 150 will give you the least amount of quality but biggest print. I personally use 300 only. Here's what I mean, Say some one gave me a 3000x2000 pixel shot (6MP) I could print a 10x6.66 inch picture at a very good quality or I could print a 20x12.33 at a rather poor quality. But another thing to think about is where this print is going to be seen. At a Gallery standing 10ft away, the 20x12.33in. print at 150 (ppi is what this number is refering to by the way) would probably look fine.

Who stands 10 feet away in a gallery?

Anyway, open it in PS and resize it to 300dpi @ your print size (in this case, "canvas size." Then see how it looks.

If someone sends me a photo on disc, what is the quickest way for me to see how large of an image I can print of it?

Print it at A4.

Does it look really good when examined very closely?

If so you can probably get away with A3.

If it just looks OK, A4 is the limit.

And if it looks poor, drop down to A5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back