Resolution only 72dpi shooting in L

KabeXTi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I uploaded my memory card to my computer and all of the shots I opened in photoshop are only at 72dpi. Am I missing something? I have shot everything in L and I'm wondering why they are not 300dpi.

Is there a setting that I missed?

I guess upload is the wrong word.

I transfered them via USB from camera to Hard Drive then opened in Photoshop.

I do the same process with my P&S and they are all 300dpi. This is my first full memory card on my dSLR and I feel like I just missed a setting somewhere along the way possibly.

This has been asked many, many times.

What you missed is that PPI (not really the same as DPI) is not really important. Your files are just as they are supposed to be.

PPI is the setting for how large an image will be displayed on the monitor. The important number is the size of the image, in pixels.

As a test, you can see that PPI really doesn't affect the image. Open the Image Size dialog in photoshop and unclick the 're-sample' box. Then, you can change the PPI number to anything you want. 12 or 10,000...it won't change the image at all...except for the zoom level in photoshop.

As for your files that say 72 PPI...that is just the default setting because that is good for monitor display. You can change that to 300 PPI or what ever you want.

Now, if you do actually want to change the size of the image, then check the 're-sample' box and change the numbers around.

Thanks for the explanation. I am very versed in Photoshop so resizing, etc, is no problem.

Thank you for helping me realize that the 72dpi setting is just the 'default' viewing setting.

I appreciate the answers!

Even tho I didn't ask, I say thanks too. This was a question that bugged me too :D

Most reactions

Back