Resolution Question

memento

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
"...ask all your basic photographic questions here!" :p

The camera I have goes from 640 x 480 up to 2272 x 1704.
I've left it set to the highest setting, SHQ 2272 x 1704, just because.
When viewing the full image on the computer, it's HUGE. Fortunately the computer automatically resizes for viewing purposes.

If I set it to a smaller resolution setting, say 1280 x 960, does this compromise the QUALITY of the image or just the SIZE?

I'm guessing the larger size is for editing and printing purposes. If I printed a normal sized picture, would i notice a difference between pictures taken with different resolution's?

Does everyone take pictures with the highest resolution possible and then just resize the image afterwards if you want to send it via e-mail?

Those numbers mean the amount of pixels used to take the image. Combined with the size of the sensor used, the more pixels, the larger an image you can print out. If you set the camera to lower quality it will mean that you won't be able to print as large as you could with more quality.

As for sending images via e-mail, either you shoot with a minimum quality setting in-camera or reduce the quality after shooting, on your computer. If you only need the picture to be viewed on a computer screen, lower quality is enough.

I forgot to mention: such as you explain it, size and quality are the same. I understand you're not referring to the actual size of the picture but rather to the size of its viewing. Is that so?

When I know I need to email something straight up I sometimes drop my camera to the smallest image. The down side is what happens if the person emails back saying they need a larger copy? Well then you'd need to take another.

You can't create data you can only make it disappear. So you can always take a large image and make it smaller, but not the other way. Keep that in mind for the application of your photos.

I forgot to mention: such as you explain it, size and quality are the same. I understand you're not referring to the actual size of the picture but rather to the size of its viewing. Is that so?

Kind of.

I have a camera that is 4mp, it's only 4mp when set to the highest setting?
If it's set to 640 x 480, (using hawee99's chart :thumbup:) that means it's only using less than 2mp.

Sounds like Resolution and Megapixels are one in the same? :scratch:

To answer your question, I always shoot at the highest resolution of the camera, and then ruthlessly trash all but the best shots.

Yes, if your camera says it is a 4MP, it is only a 4MP at the highest setting.

Also, there are generally "quality" settings for JPEG images, usually something along the lines of "High, Medium and Basic." This has to do with the level of compression your camera does, and not the SIZE of the image.

You can alter the overall space the image takes on your disk by changing the SIZE of the image, the COMPRESSION of the image, or both.

I recommend, on a 4MP camera (if you ever plan to make prints) to just leave your camera set at LARGE image size, HIGH image quality (or whatever the top compression is on yours) if your camera only shoots JPEG.

Sounds like Resolution and Megapixels are one in the same?

No, "resolution" and "megapixels" are not the same thing ....

Megapixels just means the total pixels available at the camera's highest pixel-depth setting - and that's just a math problem. For instance, if your camera produces a file that's 1500 pixels long by 1500 pixels wide, then the total pixels available are 2,250,000 - or, a 2.25 megapixel camera.

Resolution has to do with how many pixels per inch are displayed or printed - or how finely the pixels are distributed in the image. The pixel depth would remain the same whether the image is displayed/printed at 72 ppi or 300 ppi. However, the actual, physical size of the image would change.

Thanks for the response's.

"I always shoot at the highest resolution of the camera, and then ruthlessly trash all but the best shots."

Thank you, Digital camera. :lol:
As my brother say's "it's free!"
I will shoot as Sabbath does. :cheers:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back