resolution

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ella, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ella

ella TPF Noob!

I was just wondering what the standard resolution is. I know 640x480 is snap shot size, but I'm wondering what should be the minimum for a "good" photo. I often keep mine on 1024x768, as I can get tons on my camera in one go, the next ones are 1600x1200 and 2048x1536. Is 1024x768 too small?

Thanks!

2. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

All depends on how you intend to use the pics. If you're just emailing them smaller sizes work well. If you're going to print them, more pixels is better.

Generally speaking anyway. ;)

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

i always go with the largest pixel size cause i never know if im gonna print it or use it for something important ... even if im just messing around :D ... u never know .. better safe than sorry

4. abonecronedone

abonecronedone TPF Noob!

If you want to print the photos, the recomended resolution is 300 ppi (pixels per inch). 300 ppi is the standar resolution for "photo quality", but sometimes a less one will work. For web, 72 ppi is enought and remind the screens dimensions use to be 800x600

5. steve817

steve817 TPF Noob!

Kind of like a quote I saw on another website" Always shoot RAW because memory is cheap, but precious memories are priceless"

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can always reduce the quality (size) of a digital file, but you can't increase it after the fact.