Not open for further replies.

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just thought of this, and kind of feel bad that I havent before, but I always say sir and maam to adults, but here I dont. I guess i feel it doesnt matter. To me it would sound weird if I said 'Great shot Mr. Jack! (or whoever)'. Everyone here is older than me basically, but i basically dont treat anyone differently because of age...is that bad? Here it just seems different. Sometimes adults dont want to be called Sir and Maam, but just by their first name. What do you 'elder' (but not old, of course ;) ) people think?

I'm definately not 'old'... hehe not even 'older' like Hertz hey!? hehehe

But anyway, Saying Sir and Maam is a very American thing. You guys seem to say it all the time and I reckon it's cool that you do. But I personally don't like it.
No one says it at all in Australia unless they're being condescending... so it's probably not the best thing to say in Oz. But I'm used to it now, coz I get a lot of American customers in my shop and they always say "Thank you Ma'am". :) It always makes me giggle once I realise they're not taking the piss out of me.

thebeginning said:
I just thought of this, and kind of feel bad that I havent before, but I always say sir and maam to adults, but here I dont. I guess i feel it doesnt matter. To me it would sound weird if I said 'Great shot Mr. Jack! (or whoever)'. Everyone here is older than me basically, but i basically dont treat anyone differently because of age...is that bad? Here it just seems different. Sometimes adults dont want to be called Sir and Maam, but just by their first name. What do you 'elder' (but not old, of course ;) ) people think?

Daniel, one is as old as he/she wants to be. I wouldn't want you to treat me for my age but for who I am.

I surely don't go nuts about being called 'Sir' or 'Mr.', I discourage it actually. My students call me by my first name and I try to correct them if they slip a 'Mr.' by.

Of course I speak for myself here but I'm pretty sure that the rest of TPF elders (I am one of them...:D ) feel the same way.

Now... bow before me! :hail: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Some poeple are born old, some people get old, some people stay like children and some people don't give a ****e and take people for who they are rather than how old. Everyone's different.

I don't call anyone sir or maam. I do say cheers and mate too often though. And that's with everyone no matter how old they are. :oops:

Meysha said:
I'm definately not 'old'... hehe not even 'older' like Hertz hey!? hehehe
I'm pretty relaxed about it. Like most older people I don't mind just so long as when you talk to me you lie prostrate on the ground, don't talk until I give you permission, and show true and utter deference.

Oh, and Meysha - report to the castle for your punishment.

Isn't that what the internet is kinda for?

Taking the formalities away from every day life and making everyone equal?

I'm pretty sure the old folks around here have their fingers on the ban button anyway. Piss em off and you're gone.

p.s. by 'old folks' i clearly mean wise and intelligent people of an earlier birthday.

p.s. by 'old folks' i clearly mean wise and intelligent people of an earlier birthday.

^^^

I don't get it.

Did someone say E...?

*raves*

Mmmm. Yorkshire Pudding.

I will often use 'Sir' or 'Ma'am' when I am at work (Walgreens) working with my customers. Since most of my customers are older, it seems to me to be the respectful thing to do. They are usually used to those types of formalities. Other than that, I don't use those to often. Though...I've noticed...even though I'm 5 years out of school, and much longer out of elementary school, I'll never be able to refer to my former teachers by anything other than Mrs. or Mr. So and so! I live in a small town, and most of my elementary school teachers lived right here in town...high school was in a different town, don't see them as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back