respect for elders

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm 50. in adolescence i was taught to address elders by 'sir' or 'ma'am', and will continue to. my children do as well.

as for me being referred to as 'sir'...doesn't matter...i'm too laid back for such, although it does occur from time to time.

i'm being reminded daily how times are a changin

Sir or Ma'am doesn'tmake you respectful its just an automatic thing people do in America to give the impression. Respect comes from the way you act.

Even when addressing younger people, I use 'sir', etc... I can't imagine calling them "Sonny"! I think of it as a sign of respect, despite someone's age. I suppose there are adults whom I wouldn't call 'sir' because I don't respect them.

Of course, you are only as old as you feel, yadda, yadda... but I think of it as polite to address elders as 'sir' (unless, of course, they're pricks).:lol:

My students call me by my first name and I try to correct them if they slip a 'Mr.' by.
I tried this, but I found that without that initial level of respect (albeit a superficial one), students get too comfortable with me, and the teacher-student relationship becomes more of a friendship, and it's difficult to give a friend a "D" on an essay! Once they finish my class, they are more than welcome to call me by my first name. Interestingly, it is those 'older' students who feel most at ease doing so.

It is interesting, though, that online, when face to face interaction is absent, we feel more comfortable with one another. It seems most likely that it's because we all understand that a forum is not a school or course, but instead just a cafe of sorts where we just happen to share an interest.

Now, if you'll excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I have to get back to work...:mrgreen:

Daniel said:
Sir or Ma'am doesn'tmake you respectful its just an automatic thing people do in America to give the impression.

I don't know where you're from...but I sure wouldn't brand Americans all over as being so insincere. I was raised to say Sir and Ma'am and raised my children (now grown) in the same tradition. It's not the be-all and end-all of acting respectful. It's a foundation on which to build respectful behavior.

I do not think that they are really that commonly used teams in the US. But would agree that in more rural area it seem to be. Also when I go up north to south;) it seem to me that Mama is used a lot more that Sir.

PetersCreek said:
I don't know where you're from...but I sure wouldn't brand Americans all over as being so insincere. I was raised to say Sir and Ma'am and raised my children (now grown) in the same tradition. It's not the be-all and end-all of acting respectful. It's a foundation on which to build respectful behavior.

I completely agree with this, I was raised to treat everyone with respect until they prove they do not deserve it. I was always taught, when I was introduced to someone to say Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss "so and so", until they told me to call them by their first name. I use "Sir" and "Ma'am" because it is respectfull, as well as polite. It's just good manners.

I also agree, that here on the forum, respect is a given, but not in the "formal sence. Using "Sir" and "Ma'am" is a bit inappropriate.
Just my thoughts... :)

Hertz van Rental said:
I was brought up to be egalitarian - I call everyone 'twatface'.

why do i sincerely believe this?

btw, well said, Peterscreek...i was going into a speech, but you summed it up nicely.

...and quite honestly, i'm getting a bit sick of hearing 'you Americans this and you Americans that'...grow up show some respect for a country, that more than likely helps keep your non-respectful a** free and safe...and guess what, you may, if you're lucky, pick up a bit of respect for others along the way.

It's not the be-all and end-all of acting respectful. It's a foundation on which to build respectful behavior.

That there is my problem. How is that a foundation of how to treat someone respectfully? I don't understand. I think they're inconsequential words that don't show a lack of respect or do they show respect except because a culture has decided so. It's a cultural thing, it just doesn't chime right with me.

and quite honestly, i'm getting a bit sick of hearing 'you Americans this and you Americans that'

I don't have time to make all my posts PC. Ok I made a sweeping statement but I don't see what your issue is anyway.

grow up show some respect for a country, that more than likely helps keep your non-respectful a** free and safe...and guess what, you may, if you're lucky, pick up a bit of respect for others along the way.

Oh please don't give me that we keep you free spool. It's so full of bull**** it's unreal. And I do have respect for others, I just don't sum it up with a monosyllabic word.

Daniel said:
Oh please don't give me that we keep you free spool. It's so full of bull**** it's unreal. And I do have respect for others, I just don't sum it up with a monosyllabic word.

I beg to differ with this comment. Sounds to me, that you have absolutely no respect for anyone but yourself. What a sad way to live...lonely. :meh:

Daniel said:

you still don't get it.

IMO, it's incredibly clear you have no respect for others.

i'm not sure what country you live in, but i've got a pretty good idea judging by your deportment. i know all too well what this country provides you my friend. i'd love to watch your country survive for a year independently...especially today...but then again, innocent people would suffer at your expense.....hmmmmmmm

Daniel said:
That there is my problem. How is that a foundation of how to treat someone respectfully? I don't understand. I think they're inconsequential words that don't show a lack of respect or do they show respect except because a culture has decided so. It's a cultural thing, it just doesn't chime right with me.
The means of demonstrating respect for others has to begin somewhere. If it doesn't begin with how you address them, where does it begin? What words are not inconsequential?
I'm not saying you have to address people as sir or ma'am in order to show respect...but it is one way of doing so. Yes, it's definitely cultural. Most customs are. Just because it doesn't chime right with you doesn't mean that it's intrinsically invalid, inconsequential, or of little import.
Ok I made a sweeping statement but I don't see what your issue is anyway.
then
And I do have respect for others, I just don't sum it up with a monosyllabic word.
No, evidently you show your (lack of) respect with sweeping generalizations.

I think this thread is getting a bit on the Political side so some people need to chill.

I was always brought up to believe that respect had to be earned.
I know of no Country that has earned my respect (with the exception of a few Scandinavian ones) mainly because so many Countries and their Politicians have done so much that is contemptible over the years.
And before anyone seeks to argue with this - PM me and I will provide you with a list of all the horrid things your Country has done to make the world a worse place to live in.

Now let us get of our soap boxes and stop being twats. You too, Jon.

PS Not respecting a Country has nothing to do with not respecting it's inhabitants. I can respect people - it's just the Politicians they elect to lead them that cause the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back