Status
Not open for further replies.

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please keep in mind when offering suggestions about gear to respect the choices that have already been made by the OP. We've had quite a few instances where people will state they want to stick with brand "A" or "B" only to have people start suggesting the opposite brand(s). Please respect people's choices regarding the brand they have chosen. If they directly ask for alternatives feel free to suggest them.

Secondly, please do not comment on how "crappy" someone's camera is, especially for those who are just starting out. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. Nothing is more discouraging than having spent a considerable amount of money only to have a bunch of people say you bought a piece of junk. We should be encouraging people to shoot what they have and enjoy it.

Last edited:
runnah, why'd you post this with such a crappy computer? too much noise.

Doesnt that depend a bit ?

Yes sometimes there are the annoying MFT fanboys that need to talk about their glorious system in every single thread (not in this forum, but in some other forums).

Or people demand a Nikon DSLR and yet somebody talks about Canon or Pentax, or vice versa.

But sometimes people are really uninformed and want to get things that dont exist, such as a small sensor compact cameras that work well in low light.

A real bug bear I have is when someone states the have a budget and people suggest equipment double, triple, quadruple the budget.

I got bit of a roasting on another forum for opening a thread saying a 5d3 was not a good alternative to a 7d. This was because many asked about upgrades from 20/30 and 40ds etc with budgets of approx 1000 dollars. 7d was approx at budget, 5d3,was not. Even a mod got bit annoyed with me

Doesnt that depend a bit ?

Yes sometimes there are the annoying MFT fanboys that need to talk about their glorious system in every single thread (not in this forum, but in some other forums).

Or people demand a Nikon DSLR and yet somebody talks about Canon or Pentax, or vice versa.

But sometimes people are really uninformed and want to get things that dont exist, such as a small sensor compact cameras that work well in low light.

I am speaking to the cases where the OP is saying "I own xxx brand and would like to stick with them." Certainly when people come in with no idea what brand, type or style camera they want, than certainly feel free to suggest anything.

A real bug bear I have is when someone states the have a budget and people suggest equipment double, triple, quadruple the budget.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, but that is high on my list of pet peeves.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, but that is high on my list of pet peeves.
While I agree that can be frustrating at times, it can also helpful at times to educate those who just don't have the knowledge yet. Such as the invariable "I just got a (Insert your brand of choice camera and lens that is valued at $2000.00) and I want a tripod. My budget is $25.00 do you think this tripod will work? You click on the link and it is a tripod that has a weight limit that will support two or possibly even three Tzetse flies. Which is better, the "Oh yeah that is great" response, or the explaining the issues and liking to an item that meets at least the reasonable minimum.

Q: Who has won the most People’s Choice Awards? —Nicole H., Pittsburgh
A: From his first award in 1985 for Favorite Male Performer in a New TV Program to his last award in 1999 for All Time Favorite TV Star, actor and comedian Bill Cosby holds the record with 17 wins. Coming in second isJulia Roberts with 13 statuettes, although she’ll have to share the spot with Ellen DeGeneres if the funny lady wins again this year in the category of Favorite Daytime TV Host.

While I agree that can be frustrating at times, it can also helpful at times to educate those who just don't have the knowledge yet. Such as the invariable "I just got a (Insert your brand of choice camera and lens that is valued at $2000.00) and I want a tripod. My budget is $25.00 do you think this tripod will work? You click on the link and it is a tripod that has a weight limit that will support two or possibly even three Tzetse flies. Which is better, the "Oh yeah that is great" response, or the explaining the issues and liking to an item that meets at least the reasonable minimum.
Absolutely this! ^^^ A lot of times people don't know what they don't know, and by explaining why the item that they're considering isn't ideal, we are helping to educate them.

Budget wise I think its also important to inform people of what is above their price point. Not to insult but to give them a wider understanding. It can help people understand how the market lines up but in some cases also convinces people that; yeah maybe they should save a little longer so that they can get something really awesome instead of a short-gap purchase that is only a minor upgrade.

In general though the spirit of this ruling is sound; that of trying to discourage brand wars and topics going FAR off course away from what is relevant to the OP of a post (who whilst they don't "own" the thread is the one who asked the question and thus should be the primary focus of the thread in general

sometimes I really wish more people would ask more about the 5D3 because that's the only camera I know enough about to hold a reasonably lively conversation

but what if they bought a Sony or Samsung camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back