Resting Marble C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bazooka, Feb 27, 2010.

1. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    On the drive home with my wife around sunset tonight, I noticed the moon was also rising in the east and appeared quite large. When we got home, I went into the back yard and was looking for the moon to see what it would look like at 200mm cropped. When I saw it, I got the idea for this shot and that it would be neat. I was suprised that it actually came out as I wanted it to.

I wanted to make it appear that it rolled down the edge of the roof and was resting between two rooves, like a marble would do. I tried to get the edges sharp so I set the aperture to f/14. I guess it wasn't quite enough because they are still blurry. I also learned to use mirror lockup after the fact because I got some vertical motion on the moon when viewed in full size.

Do you find this image interesting? Technically, how could I improve it? If I get some ideas, I can reshoot it tomorrow night. Thanks!

f/14
    1/8
    ISO-100
    260mm (163mm cropped)

[​IMG]

2. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The moon looks beautiful!!

I think a different crop may work better though?? Maybe a bit tighter? The radon pipe? and other thing (sorry, I know nothing about home construction..lol) are a bit distracting.

3. bazooka

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking that without the vertical structure, the shot might be a little too simple. I like the different geometric shapes. I was considering taking all the detail out of the roof so it's less identifiable as a roof (no shingle detail, etc... ). I'm interested to see if everyone else agrees with you on the vents.

4. rallysman

rallysman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the concept, but I don't like the vents either. Other than that it's cool:)
    The trim on the bottom right is a bit distracting as well.

5. gardy90

gardy90 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think the pips add a sense of scale almost, i think it would be kinda boreing without them

6. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice idea. I'd crop it a little tighter and get rid of a lot of the excess stuff. Maybe try B&W with a bit of extra contrast.

7. bazooka

Photos OK to edit
    Is this better or worse? To me, it doesn't really communicate the affect that I'm going for... it just looks like a moon coming up over the roof. Perhaps this is due to the blurred edges?

[​IMG]