Restrictions on Photographers

DoctorQ9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am finding more and more family attractions are becoming "photographer unfriendly". I recently heard about the Monterey Bay Aquarium's policy against both tripod and monopod use, so I emailed their Press Office. They took the time to respond to me:

"
Thank you for your inquiry. There are three reasons we prohibit the use of tripods and monopods:

1)Visitor safety. I agree monopods are easier to control than tripods, but we can’t make exceptions for monopods for the following two reasons.
2)Visitor access to exhibits. We’ve found that photographers using monopods and tripods often take up a prime spot in front of an exhibit and stay there a long time, regardless of how many people are around. We’re trying to be fair to the other visitors.
3)Proprietary issues. We prohibit private sales of images of our exhibits and animals, especially as stock images. We state on the visitor maps that people are welcome to take photos for their private use, but any commercial photography must be licensed and falls under location fees. With the advancement of digital cameras and camcorders, we are finding more and more people selling images taken here – a private business that receives no public funds – without a license. We find these regularly and contact the sites to remove the images, and take further action if needed. We’re a non-profit organization, and feel strongly that any sales of images should benefit our education and conservation research programs – whether they’re taken by our photographers or outside photographers under contract."

And I completely understand their position. So my question is: how can we adapt so that photographers are welcomed into these establishments?

I am finding more and more family attractions are becoming "photographer unfriendly". I recently heard about the Monterey Bay Aquarium's policy against both tripod and monopod use, so I emailed their Press Office. They took the time to respond to me:

And I completely understand their position. So my question is: how can we adapt so that photographers are welcomed into these establishments?

ahhhh ... how about not taking a tri or mono pod into the facility ...

Gary

Yep. the obvious answer is as Seefutlung pointed out... don't take a monopod or tripod. Its private property so the facility has every right. Think of it as this way... they COULD HAVE made it completely photographer unfriendly by not allow cameras all together. So in a way, they are being flexible.

May I suggest a $1 monopod instead (string/tripod socket trick).

Use higher ISOs indoors because, some places dont allow flashes either.

And VR lenses. Yeah that's the ticket. But wait then you have a shiny big SLR camera, and depending on how pedantic the place is they may pull the old "we don't allow professional cameras here" trick.

And VR lenses. Yeah that's the ticket. But wait then you have a shiny big SLR camera, and depending on how pedantic the place is they may pull the old "we don't allow professional cameras here" trick.

Id be like this isn't a professional camera, its only entry level :p

The answer is simple. Talk with these people and obtain permission. Explain your situation and what you want out of it. They may be able to accommodate you after hours. They may tell you no way. In either case; by being responsible and going through the proper channels you begin to give photographers a good name.

Love & Bass

I would also think if you wanted to take photos it'd be advisable to go on a weekday and take the pics during non-peak times when the crowds are small. If you're not disrupting anyone they might be a little more lenient.

Some places offer permits.

I have no problem with establishments trying to ban tripods. Monopods aren't so bad. It's just that they can take up a lot of space and if you get a person that's shooting, they could be sitting infront of some aquarium exhibit for half and hour, blocking foot traffic and posing a potential safety risk.

They restrict tripod use in DC on sidewalks and pathways and any place around the monuments that would be a potential danger to people. Plus sometimes it's rude to breakout a tripod.

I understand their case. I was at the L.A. Zoo a few months back (yes Los Angeles has a zoo) and witnessed photographers impeding the egress of the gorilla exhibit. There were several there setup with tripods and their telephoto lenses just waiting, it didn't bother me much but I can see how some patrons to the establishment can get a bit bothered.

I guess you'd have to what, like, book a session then or something?

you could always buy your own aquarium and 50000 dollar fish to take pictures of, or dive with a 10K diving kit on a tropical island to find these fish.

but I guess if your a fish nut you just wanna take pictures of the fish.

You should try to set something up where you take pictures when its not busy and give them processed shots on a DVD they can use for their own purpose.

who knows...

Just understand these setups take a lot of time and money to setup .

If it were funded with pubic funds that would be a different story.

Most reactions

Back