Restrictions on Photographers

I am finding more and more family attractions are becoming "photographer unfriendly". ...
"
Thank you for your inquiry. There are three reasons we prohibit the use of tripods and monopods:
3)Proprietary issues. ...

...people are welcome to take photos for their private use, but any commercial photography must be licensed and falls under location fees. With the advancement of digital cameras and camcorders, we are finding more and more people selling images taken here – a private business that receives no public funds – without a license. We find these regularly and contact the sites to remove the images, and take further action if needed. We’re a non-profit organization, and feel strongly that any sales of images should benefit our education and conservation research programs – whether they’re taken by our photographers or outside photographers under contract."

And I completely understand their position. So my question is: how can we adapt so that photographers are welcomed into these establishments?

So if you want professional, high quality photos, pay their location and license fees and do the job right. Anything other than that, you're probably just another obnoxious, self-centered tourist.

So if you want professional, high quality photos, pay their location and license fees and do the job right. Anything other than that, you're probably just another obnoxious, self-centered tourist.
Well they as a private entity have the right to restrict any activities on their property. I have no problem with that it is their right. If they really wanted to be harsh they wouldnt allow any photography, what so ever.

I am finding more and more family attractions are becoming "photographer unfriendly". I recently heard about the Monterey Bay Aquarium's policy against both tripod and monopod use, so I emailed their Press Office. They took the time to respond to me:

"
Thank you for your inquiry. There are three reasons we prohibit the use of tripods and monopods:

1)Visitor safety. I agree monopods are easier to control than tripods, but we can’t make exceptions for monopods for the following two reasons.
2)Visitor access to exhibits. We’ve found that photographers using monopods and tripods often take up a prime spot in front of an exhibit and stay there a long time, regardless of how many people are around. We’re trying to be fair to the other visitors.
3)Proprietary issues. We prohibit private sales of images of our exhibits and animals, especially as stock images. We state on the visitor maps that people are welcome to take photos for their private use, but any commercial photography must be licensed and falls under location fees. With the advancement of digital cameras and camcorders, we are finding more and more people selling images taken here – a private business that receives no public funds – without a license. We find these regularly and contact the sites to remove the images, and take further action if needed. We’re a non-profit organization, and feel strongly that any sales of images should benefit our education and conservation research programs – whether they’re taken by our photographers or outside photographers under contract."

And I completely understand their position. So my question is: how can we adapt so that photographers are welcomed into these establishments?

Wow, I am actually really impressed with their completely legitimate, well-thought out response. Usually all you get is some generic canned response that doesn't even address your actual questions/concerns.

I fully agree with their reasons for banning tripods and monopods.

I've actually been to the Monterey aquarium (amazing place) and it gets super crowded there.

One thing you might suggest to the management is what they do at the Conservatory here in St. Paul about 4 times a year - on certain days they allow photographers in for a couple hours before regular opening times to bring tripods/monopods in and shoot to your hearts' content.

I agree...tripods can cause quite a problem in places like zoos and aquariums. I've visited most of the aquariums in the Northeast US and they get dangerously constricted enough without people toting tripods. I've learnd to photograph the fish without them. Higher ISO's and diffused flash.

I visit the Bronx Zoo quite frequently and they do not restrict the use of tripods, at least I've seen people use them there. I brought mine once...and I'll never bring it again. Those places just get way too crowded!

Most reactions

Back