Retainer Refund Thoughts

I am not sure how long of a time period that she first told you that she was canceling on you and when you told her that you would refund her money. I think that I would have told her I would have to get back to her. I realize that people can get caught in the moment when something quite so drastic as a breakup right before a wedding. I think some time to consult with other photographers and your husband first would have been the way I would have approached it. Then called her back with a response. Just my feeling. Based on your story I probably would have kept the money. Business is business.

Business is business.

And people are people.

Cindy, if you feel you can/should refund some of the money, then you're probably right. You get to decide how you will treat people.

You know you have a right to keep the entire amount, but realize it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do. I suspect this will rarely happen, so, as stated earlier, I think you can handle this on a case by case basis. If you feel you're profiting from some one's misfortune this time, do what you feel is right.

If keeping some or all of the money feels like you're saying, "Got ya!," there's a reason for that. It speaks of who YOU are.

So, yes.... if you weren't backed into a corner... you made the right decision.

-Pete

If they genuinely have broken up and haven't just found a cheaper photographer and given a made-up story then I'd refund out of compassion. But I'd still keep a bit of it.

Most reactions

Back