retro nude? NSFW

oh, and i took this with a disposable kodak ;)

Battou-

i'm with pete, im not trying to emulate anything, this image is what it is and i only process in a way i find lends to the image, not what lends to a style or genre. LETS NOT GET HUNG UP ON THE WORD "RETRO"

Battou-

cool "vintage nude photos", but again, i'm not emulating anything here, i just looked for a title i found most appropriate and landed on retro nude . . . maybe i'll start numbering photos!

Sorry, but the word retro is a big attention getter to me, so by default I am and will be hung up on the word, and misuse of the word really flips a switch in me.

ret·ro (rět'rō)
adj.

Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past

n. pl. ret·ros
A fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009

That said, the phrase "Retro Photo" means Photography reminisant of photos of the past. Add in the fact that you chased "Retro Nude" with a question mark indicates to me that you are asking if it is or not.

The answer from me was: No, but it could be. I'm sorry but, It's one of my biggest pet peeves. Dust, hair, water spotting and scratches do not make a photo look retro, merely poorly maintained. I hate it when people confuse poor negitive maintanance for retro, in this photo you have a beautiful model in a beautiful pose that is entirely capable of being referred to accurately as a retro nude or a classic nude but you ruined it with the crap in the scanner. A scatch or two and maybe a couple waterspots is all fine and well but there is simply too much of it and it's distracting. Hair and dust however have no place in a scan.

This Photo has great potential but, I can't see it because of all the crap on it

As far as my statement of GS or Sepia and a vignette, those are just personal preference based suggestions intended to help with the retro thought process and not an absolute neccessity by any streach of the imagination.

Titles are more important than people realize, it is the title that creates the viewing atmosphere. When putting a title to a photo, the intent is to direct the attention of the viewer by appealing to their preference. Wile Number oriented titles would work to disolve miscommunication, it'll impact the view count negitively. If you want to avoid misinturpritations and miscommunications like this, Don't title an image with a style and question mark. "Retro Photography" is a style and unless you are seriously trying to grasp that particular style, it's best to just avoid it completely. No matter where you go, there will be that misinturpritation by someone and someone will always call you on it.

Additionally, a minor setup flaw I noticed and forgot to bring up in the first post I made:
Turn the lamp 45 to 90 degrees, taking the power cord out of the frame.

I like this pic, but think her arms look a pinch dead... and her eyes dont seem to me, to be looking into you.... Her hair is perfect for this pic... love it!

Battou thanks man, i liked that comment much better :hug::. hehe, points well taken.

Battou thanks man, i liked that comment much better :hug::. hehe, points well taken.

Sorry, I did not mean to come off as a total asshat, but like I said it flips a switch in me. As long as I was able clean up the mess I made out of it, it's all good, I'm glad there are no hard feelings. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back