Return this...to buy this...?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by hawee99, Jun 24, 2007.

1. hawee99

hawee99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541536009.htm?bct=t13031003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bcilenses-for-digital-cameras%3Bcislr-lens%3Bcilenses-for-nikon

this is the lens I got with my new D80. I think I got it for 300 though as a package deal with the camera. I like it enough.

bu then I saw this. a little more expensive with a little less zoom, but VR. do you think the VR is that nice to have. Worth the price difference, and losing a little zoom. i just like zoom, but it's not a huge loss. 18-135 to 24-120 is it?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/277219-GREY/Nikon_2145_24_120mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html
    Thanks

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    perhaps the biggest difference will be at the wide angle end as you are going from about 27mm to 36mm.

Which is more important, longer reach, or a wider view?
    Only you can decide

3. hawee99

hawee99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    can you explain the a little better. I'm only famaliar with the terms of 18 200 and 24 120. hahahaha sorry

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    with the relationship of digital lenses are converted to angle you have two lenses.

one is listed at 18-135 which means the wide angle length is 18mm and the telephoto length is 135, in digital terms that translates to about 27mm of wide angle, and a bit over 200mm for your longest telephoto length.

27mm is generally considered a moderate wide angle lens

the other lens is 24mm at it's widest angle and 120 at the longest, with digital that will be 36mm at the widest angle and 180 at it's longest.

many people feel that wide angle lenses need to be below 24mm to be really considered a wider angle.

the normal viewing distance for most lenses would be somewhere between 48mm and 52mm

does this help you understand the numbers.

you need to decide , which is more important; having a longer telephoto lens or a wider angle. that all depends on your vision.

5. hawee99

hawee99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    alright. yea. I get that. So my current lens would be better for landscapes and such. So yea it's up to me on what I wanna be shooting. hmmm i think i'll stick with mine. after learning the camera better the VR might not be that essential anyhow

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

You should stick with the 24-120 it is a better all-around lens good choice!!!.

7. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Absolutely, the 24-120 is a better lens for not much more money.