Return to the swan pond

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone gave me a call to let me know the Swan looked to be setting on a nest out on the island.

I am so challenged with how to not lose the detail on these WHITE birds. I did try to use center weighted metering and EV of -.3 and -.7 but still the highlights blew out. Tried to darken highlights and decrease brightness in photo shop. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Mom got off the nest which by the way is really big. She moved all over the pond/small lake chasing all the geese out of the water. How tiring. Can't see down into the nest at all. Everything done with the 70-300 and cropped. Looking forward to babies. Soon there will be shade on the island which will help with the white but not help with using a slower lens at that distance.

1. Mom on nest
Swanonnest8428resized1000.jpg

2. Mom looking "so big". Her wings stayed up the whole time. The mate just strolled around without a care in the world.
Swanwingsup8453resized1000.jpg

3. Chasing geese
Swanchasinggoose8458resized1000.jpg

4. The bird came out really dark on this one. By the time i lightened it up to where you could see anything it had that nasty lightened up look. This goose was actually "running" away from another goose that had chased it.
Gooserunningonwater8439resized1000.jpg

I really like number 4! You captured a moment that many people don't. It is a very interesting photo to see :)

Thanks Diana, it is pretty funny to see the water that way. I see you are from OH. Born and bred on the MI/OH border (Toledo). Where abouts are you?

Most reactions

Back