Return XSi kit for 40D body?

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I purchased a Canon XSi (w/ 18-55 IS, 55-200 IS, & and 50mm 1.4 lens) as my first DSLR after previously shooting P&S. I had no idea really what I was looking for and throught the XSi would cover anything I could ever need it for. Well, after almost a month, I've found that I never use anything except the 55mm f/1.4. I shoot mostly in low-light settings or action shots and haven't found the 18-55 or 55-200 really fast enough for my needs. In basketball gyms or in the house, I just don't have enough light to shoot fast and the result is too much blur.

My plan is to move up to a 40D when I receive my refund because the XSi + lenses is very close in price paid to a used 40D body. I can use my 50mm 1.4 while saving for another nice lens like a 17-50 or something similar. What the 40D gives me is more robust, light weather-sealed body that shoots almost double the burst rate to capture my son in action.

One other complaint I have is the noise at high ISO. Noise increases with ISO, but I've found way too much noise in my night shots on the XSi. Does the 40D offer any improvement in it higher ISO settings? Or, should I consider a D80 or D90 for high ISO performance (not trying to start a Canon/Nikon debate). I'd be willing to switch brands since the 50mm lens should be easy to sell with little $ loss.

Since I'm still a rank beginner, I was hoping you may be able to help assure me this is not crazy or break the news that it is! I really hate to return ~$750 worth of equipment.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your input.

where possible (if you dont rely on a quick shutter) keep your iso at 100 and just use a longer shutter speed for night photography...
also dont go above 800 ISO

since your camera is second hand now and the lens' you wont get near what you paid...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=40d+iso+1600
seems good enough

where possible (if you dont rely on a quick shutter) keep your iso at 100 and just use a longer shutter speed for night photography...
also dont go above 800 ISO

since your camera is second hand now and the lens' you wont get near what you paid...

Flickr: Search
seems good enough
Thanks! I didn't even think about searching flickr for XSi ISO 1600. Looking at the XSi photos at 1600, there is not near as much grain and artifacts as what I am getting. What could it be causing so much grain in a low-light situation on my XSi? I'd post some pics, but they are all shot of my girlfriend and her family and I know I can't get permission.

I can't go below about 1/80 shutter speed or my pics aren't sharp. They're all people shots mostly with kids involved. I'm looking ahead to my son's sports season coming up (wrestling and basketball) which are held in dimly lit gyms. The camera and IS lens are still within the return period. My 50mm 1.4 was bought pre-owned, so I don't think I'd take a big hit on that if a switch to Nikon is warranted. I'd love to stick with Canon if the 40D has the high ISO performance I want.

Thanks again for your feedback! I'll look around on flickr some more.

One of the most important factors to keeping the noise level down in your images is to be sure the exposure is right on. If it's underexposed you're going to have more noise. At high ISO you will still have some noise but if the exposure is good the noise won't be as bad.

The 40D does have pretty good high ISO image quality compared to the entry level Canon DSLRs. Plus it's a bigger body so people with larger hands tend to prefer how it feels compared to the Rebels.

A few things you could do with your present setup...get some noise reduction software to supplement your photo editing software. There are three major noise reduction programs available...Noise Ninja, Noiseware and Neat Image. Any of these will drastically reduce the amount of noise in your images, but at the cost of some image sharpness.

You could also use a hot shoe mounted flash to help your indoor shots. You just wouldn't fire the flash straight ahead, you'd bounce the flash off the ceiling or walls. Flash Photography Techniques

Or you could go the strobist route and use off-camera flashes mounted on light stands. Strobist

I recommend buying Scott kelbys "the digital photography book vol. 1" Great tips on getting sharp images

a few pointers..

try make your shutter speed (at the very least) equal or more than your maximum focal length (e.g. a 70-300mm lens you want to shoot at ideally 1/320 even if your shooting at the 70mm side
the 50 mm you need to shoot atleast 1/50 (based on hand held shots)
For tripod shots, shooting a non moving object, Turn Mirror lockup on and use wireless remote shutters
this will reduce movement in the camera

Dont go above 800 ISO on the XSI

also do you perhaps High ISO noise reduction turned on? if not, try turning it on, but it slows your capture speed down (in burst mode you will get about 5 images then it starts to lag)
There is lots of different things that cause noise / reduce noise e.g. Signal to noise ratio, If you know how to read a histogram you will understand what it means..

Basically a signal to noise ratio is the calculation of how bright the image is to how much noise you have basically, the farther left the histogram is, the less noise, the farther right = more noise

Also the lens you use can cause more noise etc..

I'd post some pics, but they are all shot of my girlfriend and her family and I know I can't get permission.
That's nice of you, but you don't need permission to post your images here, if you're in the USA.

Last edited:
I'm just going to echo what's been said about the 450D's performance at 1600. Just don't go there. Even if you nail exposure the noise is just atrocious. >.<

That's nice of you, but you don't need permission to post your images here, if you're in the USA.
just to clear up...
that wasn't me who said that :) (look at thename in your quote by section)
Yeah, that was me. And I may not need permission legally, but I'm already on thin ice around her with my new camera. I guess I'm somewhat annoying with it.:lol:

So, if I'm not going above 800, how can I capture low light shots, ie, live outdoor music shows with very little lighting? I find the flash to be overpowering and I'm not sure I could get away with a flash at some events (including my son's b-ball games).

I've seen many handheld no-flash shots with 50mm 1.4 lens. How do they do it and keep the image so crisp?

Thanks to you all for helping out!

The ISO performance should be nearly identical on the 40D and XSI.

I was shooting at 1600 ISO with my 30D and liking the results. The trick is to not under expose an image, under exposed images, especially those that are brightened in post will have a lot more grain than a properly, or even slightly over exposed and darkened image.

I know of people on forums that are getting very acceptable shots of indoor basketball games with 30D/40Ds and 85mm f/1.8.

The only other camera upgrade option that would truly help with ISO is going to cost you about $1500 for a used camera and that's going with the APS-H or full frame format.

Shot at 1250 ISO on a 30D. Granted, it's 800x533.

Last edited:
The ISO performance should be nearly identical on the 40D and XSI.

I was shooting at 1600 ISO with my 30D and liking the results. The trick is to not under expose an image, under exposed images, especially those that are brightened in post will have a lot more grain than a properly, or even slightly over exposed and darkened image.

I know of people on forums that are getting very acceptable shots of indoor basketball games with 30D/40Ds and 85mm f/1.8.
You've nailed my problem. It was just too dark and I really brightened my photos.

Nonetheless, for similar price, a 40D body will meet my needs for sports photography than an XSi kit with lens I'm not using.

I really appreciate your insight.

Most reactions

Back