Reverse Lens Macro

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay I attemtped the whole "turn your lens around and taadah you have a macro lens" system. I didnt even know it was possible. read about it in a magazine so thought I would give it a go as it sounded easy. I used my 18-70mm and held the aperture open with half a match stick. I didnt actually attatch the lens to the body like some tutorials on youtube (which ive just been watching) said. I just held there like the magazine article said to do. took me ages to figure it out, how to focus etc. but after a few blurry shots of nothing I got one fluke shot.
(Im aware I missed the focus - I would have like it on the stone but oh well. its the only one I got WITH focus so I'm not complaining! haha.
fc1fd.jpg

I know this is a very makeshift "macro" but any tips on how to get this to work for me? Currently just struggling to hold the lens in place.

Ill go outside tommorow and try this again. but its pretty tricky...

Isn't it fun once you figured it out?
I first tried this years ago and was appalled by the TINY, razor thin DOF you get out of it, and by the fact that you need to focus with your body, and hey, once you breathe, or your heart beats, you fall out of focus again and miss it (more so when you put your lens to wider open!), but back then I managed to get some interesting results, results I'd never have got with any lens I had (still have).

Look, <- that's one of my favourite examples from back then.

Seems like the links to the photos of the fly are broken, so I can't show you that thread (well, I could, but it's useless).

Yeah its fun finding out new things!! never even thought somthing so strangly simple would be possible!
Wow those photos are amzing! are those just taken by reversing you lens also?? those are fantastic :thumbup:

Adorama sells some cheap bayonet adapters. I just picked up a coupe to mount reveresed to the body. They also have coupling rings that let you mount reversed on another normal lens. Picked up one of those two. The bayonet ones are like $15 and the coupling is like $7 I think. Not a bad price to open up some new photo opportunities. Try tripod mounting the camera, using a shutter release and locking the mirror. Still might be hard if you are actually HOLDING the lens on.

Oh thats interesting ill have a look around for some of those thingys.
Yeah I did have it on a tripod but i think i still needed another set of hands! I was playing around with it again at midnight. ill post some. I ran into trouble with a few of them..

Isn't it fun once you figured it out?
I first tried this years ago and was appalled by the TINY, razor thin DOF you get out of it, and by the fact that you need to focus with your body, and hey, once you breathe, or your heart beats, you fall out of focus again and miss it (more so when you put your lens to wider open!), but back then I managed to get some interesting results, results I'd never have got with any lens I had (still have).

Look, <- that's one of my favourite examples from back then.

Seems like the links to the photos of the fly are broken, so I can't show you that thread (well, I could, but it's useless).

The OP picture was kind of underwhelming, but I have to say when you get it right on a right subject, this effect is awesome! You totally stole the thread LaFoto :)

15i8fvp.jpg

11u7of9.jpg

My camera would only let me fire the shutter if it was on Manual. but then i had major issues, tha shutter was going off and about 1/160 which was obviously far to fast for inside light etc. and which the falsh its was same shutter and blindingly over exposed to point where i could even see what i was taking a photo of! i tried diffusing the flash but it didnt have much effect at all. but theres a couple and works a bit. ill post one of the fails - what can i do to fix this?
Should I go try my luck out side in natural light?

ra9dop.jpg

If you dont want to buy a true macro you could try a raynox dcr-250. You get good magnification from this and there isn't much drop off of image quality. I bought one of these and now Im sucked into macro.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-Macro-Scan-Conversion-Universal-Diameters/dp/B0002YBXBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278026755&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Raynox DCR-250, Macro-Scan 2.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal&#133;[/ame]

Well, I suggest you do try this outside, in natural light, and loads of it at first, as focusing is so difficult, you have no means to focus other than slowly swing forward and back until you see that the focus is right, stop breathing, slow down your heartbeat, hold your breath some more to re-focus and then...!

I've been messing with this on my Zenit... Works pretty well if you tape the lens to the camera, but i have a steady hand so i can just hold it there..., but macro isn't really my thing so i probably wont pursue it any further.
Nice to experiment though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back