Reverse lens mounting

rwalsh81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm going for a little more "Oomph" with my macro and about to start reverse lens mounting, (I've got a reverse mount on the way). IF I also add on my extension tube will that do anything at all or is that just going to be a waste?

Reversing a lens on extension tubes will bring the focus closer & make the image bigger than reversing the same lens direct on the body.

BTW in case you don't already know reversing is best for short focal length lenses especially retrofocus designs (most SLR lenses of 50mm & less).

You can also reverse a lens in front of another lens - effectively using the reversed lens as a highly corrected close up filter. Not all lens combinations work well but very high magnifications can easily be reached this way :)

Ok cool thanks. I'm still a little new to this but thought this was a little more technical than the basic board. I can't wait till my reverse ring comes in on Monday. With mounting a lens to a lens how would I do that a second reverse ring?

You mount two lenses together using a special filter ring. It has the filter threads on both sides, one for each size filter used for the two lenses.

You install the longer lens on your camera, and the shorter FL lens reversed in front of it.

However, you may find you'll need to hold the reversed lens' aperture open if it's the type that closes when it's not on a camera.

Cool thanks, I just found the mounts and ordered two of them one for each filter size I'm using.

You need ONE filter ring. One side will have one size threads for one lens, and the other will have the filter size of the OTHER lens you're using.

If you have, say, one lens with 67mm and other with 58mm, you order ONE ring that's 67mm on one side and 58mm on the other. NOT a 67/67 and a 58/58.

I ordered on 58/58 and one 58/67.

Ok. So you have three lenes?

I ordered on 58/58 and one 58/67.
A 58/67 coupling ring & a 58-67 step-up ring would have given you the same effect while also allowing you to use 67mm filters for all your lenses. Only a minor gain but it's especially useful to know for when you can't find a coupling ring for the filters you have...

Your existing lenses are likely to be without aperture rings so are not ideal for reversing - aperture control on some modern lenses is very awkward once off the camera!

Some excellent advice here. You might find that older lenses are easiest to use because of the aperture ring. Most lenses are sharpest at f8 - but that really depends on the lens.

Once you have this setup, you might find the working distance is small and positioning lighting can be a problem. In that case, a reversed enlarging lens can be quite useful. I find that with a 50 mm Rodagon reversed at f8, I have a working distance of about 3" and a magnification around 3-4X (haven't calculated that exactly.).

Have fun!

And for those that may want to try this and don't have the coupling ring . . .

cmw3_d40_5541
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

This method is probably best used with lenses having the same filter size.

Most reactions

Back