Revisiting old negs/scans

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by markc, Mar 29, 2004.

1. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been taking a class at the local community darkroom called "Finding Your Style". It's been pretty amazing. It's all about changing your reliance on happy accidents to creating consistant work by making conscious choices. The last session was a real eye-opener for me.

I have a bunch of scans I haven't looked at in a couple of years, so I decided to go back through them with what I've learned to see if I could do anything with them now, having an actual outcome in mind. It's not the same as taking the picture with intent in the first place, but it's still a good exercise. These are ones that I didn't know what to do with at the time for whatever reason. I'm really happy that I spent the time to go back to them. I'd be interested to hear what people think.

[​IMG]
    Unstoppable!

[​IMG]
    Down On Grampa's Farm

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

i really really like these shots!!!

1) Composition is an A plus!!
    2) DOF is superior!!
    3) my only concern, and its just me, the pictures look grainy, slightly...

Marvelous work though!

md

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you!
    Yeah, they are grainy, but I kind of like that. Same with a boosted contrast. Looking at these again, I think I'll go back and boost the first one even more. That's part of what I learned in the class. I was trying to do what was supposed to be technically correct rather than what I liked.

4. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agreee with MD! I love the composition of both photos, but number 2 strikes a chord with me! Great work :D

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really like #2. Beautiful.

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd be happy going back though my castoffs, too, if I came across shots like these. :wink: Very lovely work.

I'm with you on the grain - I like grain. :D

7. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    WOW!

The first one catches a great expression. It looks like a pro player when he makes a big catch yet... it's a little boy. I can see that in like a slow mo movie flash back or something. It's really great!

The second one is also very excellent. You have a great way of capturing the emotion in more than just the face of a person. It carries through the color, focus, and placement. Wonderful job.

8. Lungfarmer

Lungfarmer TPF Noob!

Both very nice shots. I like the slight grain as well, gives them an older feel.

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. Is there anything that any of you would personally change? MD mentioned it being a touch too grainy for him. I'm curious if anyone else sees anything. I like to hear ideas, even if they don't fit my taste.

Here's how the first one started out, in case anyone is curious. Back when I first took it, I loved the expression, but the tilted horizon and cropped foot really bugged me. I was disappointed enough that I didn't bother to play with it much. I thought I had ruined a great shot. Going back later let me look at it with fresh eyes and a better understand of composition. I'd still prefer to have a shot with his feet in the image over the reworked one, but this is a lot better than not doing anything with it at all, and it stands well on it's own regardless.

[​IMG]

BTW, he was a mad little punter. He kept kicking the ball over and over and over... He's about to drop it there so he can give it the boot.

10. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I think they are both superb. I don't mind the graininess, it does seem to fit the style.

11. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I prefer the first one but they're both superb and it's the kids expression that makes them in both cases.

12. simulastral

simulastral TPF Noob!

my humble opinion: i think you did a great job with the reworked image. excellent way to salvage the shot!