RGB Histogram, how important?

robitussin217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been reading about DSLRs for a while now but have yet to make a trip to Ritz camera to have a hands on experience. I may have an opportunity to pick up a D70s and a couple of lenses for around $600. It only has a black and white histogram. For you seasoned DSLR users; would/does this cause a big problem in determining your exposure?

Being a beginner, I've planned on getting the Nikon D40. I'm gonna do all the normal stuff. (people photography) I'm also mostly interested in outdoor photography- nature, wildlife, landscapes. I've always thought it was neat that photographing wildlife has many of the benefits of hunting; outdoors, stalking, tracking, sneaking, enjoying animals, getting a great shot- without having to kill the animal in order to enjoy it and mount it on your wall.

Good ole Ken Rockwell boasts about the metering of the D70s. And, it has a 5-point auto focus vs. the D40 3-point. Does anyone know of any other big benefits of the D70s over the D40? The D40 has a bigger LCD. Which do you recommend considering the black and white histogram? Thanks for any help.

It's not important? Maybe I should have named the title of the thread differently. "Noob looking for first camera, HELP!"

the Histogram will help you with understanding exposure IMO. If something is to light it will show if something is to dark it will show, etc. When I take a shot I have my autopreview set for histogram to avoid me having to reshoot the shot.

I primarily use M mode now since I've finally learned to take my time. I use AV and TV when I have less control over what I'm shooting.

And, it has a 5-point auto focus vs. the D40 3-point.
No big deal - All you need is single point autofocus, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people turn OFF the multi point focus and just use centre focus, then re-compose the shot as required. The K10D has 11 point, I still only use centre.

Which do you recommend considering the black and white histogram? Thanks for any help.

The RGB Histogram is three histograms displayed seperatly, one for Red, Green and Blue. I Can't say for anyone else, but I never use it. The other histogram isn't a 'black and white' histogram, it's just, well, a histogram, gives an idea of overall brightness of a shot... I'm sure someone else can explain better than I can.

Good ole Ken Rockwell boasts about the metering of the D70s.
I Can't comment on D40 or D70 metering. Someone else might be able to.

So, two of your three points mentioned are un-important, the third I can't comment on.

No big deal - All you need is single point autofocus, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people turn OFF the multi point focus and just use centre focus, then re-compose the shot as required. The K10D has 11 point, I still only use centre.

I'm sure it's personal preference, but I drastically disagree with the above comments. When shooting at a really large aperture like f1.8 or bigger, it's vital to recompose as little as possible. I always move the single point focus to the focus point closest to the subject's eyes and then refocus as little as possible. Even doing this I sometimes miss focus a hair due to the recomposition. I have a D70s with the 5 points and really wish I had a few more focus points to keep me from recomposing at all when at f1.8.

The RGB Histogram is three histograms displayed seperatly, one for Red, Green and Blue. I Can't say for anyone else, but I never use it. The other histogram isn't a 'black and white' histogram, it's just, well, a histogram, gives an idea of overall brightness of a shot... I'm sure someone else can explain better than I can.

I Can't comment on D40 or D70 metering. Someone else might be able to.

So, two of your three points mentioned are un-important, the third I can't comment on.

I'm the same here in regards to the rgb. I have a D70s so I'm in the same boat, but I wouldn't use it if I could (not saying that I'm not wrong or other's aren't different). I usually leave my lcd set for highlights. I can visibly see if it's underexposed and the highlights will tell me if I have any blown areas.

Most reactions

Back