Ricoh GR Digital III?

scantron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This camera looks pretty awesome:
Ricoh unveils GR Digital III digital compact: Digital Photography Review

I know it's expensive compared to other P&S cameras, I know it's a "niche" thing, but it looks like a seriously capable contender to the Lumix LX3, Leica D-Lux 4, Canon S90, etc. for those seeking that kind of a camera.

I don't know much about Ricoh, have any of you all used/owned this camera or other Ricoh stuff?

Not very. I like primes. I guess I'm curious about image quality, performance, build quality, support.
I don't know anything about Ricoh, trying to determine if it's worth the extra cash or if I should get the Lumix LX3.

Ricoh is even harder to find here in the U.S. than even the Sigma DP1. Its probably going to be difficult to find someone with extensive experience. (I personally have never seen it in person). Here's my take:

P&S for compactness, "fun", "laid back", "free" style of shooting. For me, zoom fits that better than a P&S with a single focal length. Furthermore, the extra quality you can squeeze out of a single focal length optic is going to be limited because of the camera's tiny sensor and noise... a limitation of any P&S.

I shoot primes. I enjoy them... but on a DSLR or higher end camera where the extra IQ from primes do matter. Different tool for the job.

With that said, I would go with either the S90, Canon G11, or LX3. For a P&S, the LX3 is with me most of the time and is a very satisfying camera for everyday use. Good ISO, IQ, fast lens, and a wide 24mm (equiv). The G11 from the Gseries has traditionally been the leader of the high end P&S market and it too won't disappoint.

A friend of mine had a plastic ricoh (cant remember the name) but that thing surprised the hell out of me. Awesome cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back