Right... that's it I'm getting outta here...

I have held preemies, though never had one of my own. I still see color issues that are stemming from the use of pop up flash.

Preemies do tend to be that lobster-y color, but the pop up flash has changed it's hue to something I feel is not accurate. (although, it appears I am alone in seeing this.)
You could be right, Kelly. Maybe that's the yellow I'm seeing? I can see some yellow in the onsie too and I'm thinking maybe it has a yellow cast...

Congrats on the new little guy! Must be very exciting. And I have to agree, an interesting first shoot by all means.

Whilst this isn't your standard baby glam shot I do believe it has substance. The pop up flash gives the photograph unfortunate lighting, but when it is all you have it's a matter of getting the shot or not getting it.

Looking at this picture my eyes are drawn to his behind, for very the simple reason it is big and bright. After pausing for a brief moment, my eyes follow the diagonal line of his outfit down to his right foot. And I find this guys foot, simply intriguing. I don't have much experience with babies let alone premature babies, but look at this guys foot! Its all wrinkled, and it looks too me like it might be rough and dry. Babies aren't meant to be rough and dry! Especially the ones you see in overexposed baby glam pics where they are all but void of skin texture. This tells a story, and I want to know why his foot is like this.

From here I want to investigate his other foot. As it turns out due to his pose he has this foot stretched out so it doesn't have the same appearance, as the first, and this causes my eyes to dart between each foot. One may argue that 2nd foot is a distraction and stops the photo from flowing the way it may from a tighter crop.

All in all I think you have caught a special time in a unique way.

Now on to the technical imperfections. Looking closely into the numbers there is indeed a slight yellow cast to this photo. And unfortunately the on board flash has caused some harsh and IMHO distracting shadows.

I have posted some edits to correct these matters for the purpose of further discussion, on the basis that your photos are okay to edit (if not, let me know).

1elooiken8rtcopy2.jpg

* Using curves I removed the yellow colour cast
* I duplicated the layer and used curves to increase the overall brightness by a lot, the idea of this layer was to be able to use it to brighten the harsh shadows.
* Generated a layer mask filled with black and carefully painted over the harsh shadows to lighten them. Also remember that soft light will have a 'fuzzy' area where it transitions from light to shadow.
* Switched to LAB mode and used a USM mask on the L channel for low frequency sharpening to boost local contrast (I originally did this in RGB but it did very weird things to this guys skin tones).
* Finally I wanted to emphasis the texture on this guys feet. To do this I duplicated the layer, used a high pass filter, changed the blending mode to soft light, and then used a black layer mask so I could selectively sharpen his feet by painting them white. I then lowered the opacity to taste.

1elooiken8rtcopy3.jpg

Here I converted in to B&W and gave it a tight crop, with intention of making sure that this guys foot was the subject of the photo. It still contains the diagonal lines leading to the foot. Personally I think it tells a special story and if this way my son I would hang this on my wall. Of course one could argue that cropping as such removes the part of story that this guy was going somewhere. But that is a creative decision that each person can make with their own judgement.

Djeez Rhubard what have you done???
In lack of words.:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:deeply for the work you have done and your PS skills.
Amazing how it looks far better now.
Please nobody look to the original anymore...this one is it.:thumbup:
You read the shot very well except....it's not my kid but from friends of mine.
Now he's about 2 years old and an exceptional good looking toddler.
He will have to shake the lady's off later cuz there will be too many too handle:D:D:D

One happy :alien: overhere.

Congrats on the new little guy! Must be very exciting. And I have to agree, an interesting first shoot by all means.

Whilst this isn't your standard baby glam shot I do believe it has substance. The pop up flash gives the photograph unfortunate lighting, but when it is all you have it's a matter of getting the shot or not getting it.

Looking at this picture my eyes are drawn to his behind, for very the simple reason it is big and bright. After pausing for a brief moment, my eyes follow the diagonal line of his outfit down to his right foot. And I find this guys foot, simply intriguing. I don't have much experience with babies let alone premature babies, but look at this guys foot! Its all wrinkled, and it looks too me like it might be rough and dry. Babies aren't meant to be rough and dry! Especially the ones you see in overexposed baby glam pics where they are all but void of skin texture. This tells a story, and I want to know why his foot is like this.

From here I want to investigate his other foot. As it turns out due to his pose he has this foot stretched out so it doesn't have the same appearance, as the first, and this causes my eyes to dart between each foot. One may argue that 2nd foot is a distraction and stops the photo from flowing the way it may from a tighter crop.

All in all I think you have caught a special time in a unique way.

Now on to the technical imperfections. Looking closely into the numbers there is indeed a slight yellow cast to this photo. And unfortunately the on board flash has caused some harsh and IMHO distracting shadows.

I have posted some edits to correct these matters for the purpose of further discussion, on the basis that your photos are okay to edit (if not, let me know).

1elooiken8rtcopy2.jpg

* Using curves I removed the yellow colour cast
* I duplicated the layer and used curves to increase the overall brightness by a lot, the idea of this layer was to be able to use it to brighten the harsh shadows.
* Generated a layer mask filled with black and carefully painted over the harsh shadows to lighten them. Also remember that soft light will have a 'fuzzy' area where it transitions from light to shadow.
* Switched to LAB mode and used a USM mask on the L channel for low frequency sharpening to boost local contrast (I originally did this in RGB but it did very weird things to this guys skin tones).
* Finally I wanted to emphasis the texture on this guys feet. To do this I duplicated the layer, used a high pass filter, changed the blending mode to soft light, and then used a black layer mask so I could selectively sharpen his feet by painting them white. I then lowered the opacity to taste.

1elooiken8rtcopy3.jpg

Here I converted in to B&W and gave it a tight crop, with intention of making sure that this guys foot was the subject of the photo. It still contains the diagonal lines leading to the foot. Personally I think it tells a special story and if this way my son I would hang this on my wall. Of course one could argue that cropping as such removes the part of story that this guy was going somewhere. But that is a creative decision that each person can make with their own judgement.

very nice i like the conversion. great work.

great photo. got any more of him?

You read the shot very well except....it's not my kid but from friends of mine.
Now he's about 2 years old and an exceptional good looking toddler.
He will have to shake the lady's off later cuz there will be too many too handle:D:D:D

One happy :alien: overhere.

very nice i like the conversion. great work.

Thanks for the comments. As mentioned I thought the shot had substance, it just needed some work to bring it out. I'm glad you liked the edits.

Most reactions

Back