weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm up on the Isle of Skye for work and today has been GORGEOUS! Sunny for the most part and a few bits of cloud. After we finished I carefully worked out an awesome location for shooting the sunset in perfect conditions.

After ariving at my chosen spot with the light just the way I'd hoped and with an hour and a half before sunset there was time to explore a wee bit. I got my camera, set it up, grabbed my lenses, ND filters, GND filters, IR filter, CPL, radio triggers, cable and backup wired shutter release. .....and promptly realised I forgot the blooming tripod which was in my house a 5.5hr drive away.

Sunset was one of the best I've seen. Bummer.

Cheers mate. Unfortunately I was on a beach with some big boulders and just couldn't find a way to prop my camera up at the angle I wanted. Fortunately it wasn't a total loss as we did get there early enough to fire off some shots before the light meant my ISO was starting to creep up a bit too much for my liking. There really is no substitute for a decent tripod at times.

Sometimes tripod substitutes don't have the desired height, but unless I know I will need a tripod, it stays home. Big rocks sound like workable substitutes. Have you considered something like the Gorillapod or a sturdy table top tripod, you could leave in your bag, or the car's boot (trunk, here) for occasions when the main tripod is unavailable?
Glad you enjoyed the sunset, even if you didn't photograph it as desired.

should have used your cell phone.

Ha. Our sunrises this week have been fabulous. I totally used a cellphone on Monday morning. The picture was ok. A cell phone shot.

I brought the camera out Tuesday morning and got the shot - yeah, that's why I bought a camera. What a difference!

Been there, experienced that, more times than I can count!

That's when I have to remind myself that sometimes it's good to just ENJOY what you are seeing and experiencing.
Definitely agree with this. There was one time when my wife and I were watching fireworks, and I was trying to fiddle with my camera and missed a good portion. My wife pretty much hit me over the head (well, not literally) and told me to just enjoy it for what it was. The moment with my wife couldn't have been captured by a photo. :joyous:

Sometimes tripod substitutes don't have the desired height, but unless I know I will need a tripod, it stays home. Big rocks sound like workable substitutes. Have you considered something like the Gorillapod or a sturdy table top tripod, you could leave in your bag, or the car's boot (trunk, here) for occasions when the main tripod is unavailable?
Glad you enjoyed the sunset, even if you didn't photograph it as desired.

Cheers mate, I've got a gorilla pod too that usually comes with me when my bigger tripod doesn't. While I'm working I have a van so taking the larger tripod is no problem. That's the galling part of it!

Easy to offer suggestions :) here's mine. String pod. Purchase a 1/4 by 20 (thread per inch) ((standard stud size for almost every tripod mount in the world)) eyebolt. I bought stainless steel but will try to find brass because I like brass. Simply loop a piece of para cord about 12 feet long through the eye. Leave two 'running' ends. You'll tie them at the length you need them. When the ends are tied together the cord makes a loop. Insert your feet and spread your legs to adjust the height. Tie it shorter and kneel for even more stability. Hold the camera firmly and pull up to tighten the triangle formed by the attachment point and your feet. You'll be surprised at the stability you get. Not a tripod by any means but it takes up VERY little room in your gadget bag. Try it around the house. It's so inexpensive if you don't like it ... toss it.

Sweet, I like that suggestion mate. I've got a black rapid strap that I use so already have an eyebolt thats used for that. Just need to get some paracord and I'll be sure to try it.

Most reactions

Back