righty, i need some help.. do i buy a 5D?

ShaCow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shacow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, ive got enough money now for just a body. I shoot with a 350D at the moment and think that im ready for the 5D...

but, my parents want me to save up for a deposit on a house...

and yes, as you can imagine.. I want a 5D soo badly..

Do I just go out and buy one? then sell my 350D and all my len's to buy one lens for my 5D..

im really confused on what to do at the moment so any help would be great :hail:

thanks

2248i1.gif

(just for the fun of it ;))

Really buy whatever you want, why should we care??

Nobody can make that decision for you.

We know that the 5D is a much better camera than the 350D...but what will that really change for you? Are you finding that your images from the 350D are severely lacking? Are they just too small...or too noisy?

If your budget is limited, I don't see a good argument for upgrading only because you really want to...rather than needing to.

Well, here's what I might do. The 40D looks like a cool camera. Maybe you could look into that one, and save some money instead of getting the 5D.

Now, keep in mind that the 5D is a better camera so it's just up to you whether you want to pay that extra money for the extra features and quality. If you're not a professional (or not planning on being one), the 40D maybe be a little better choice. Or you can just make the payment on your house, and then save up for the 5D, and then everyone will be happy. That might be a wise choice, as well, considering that when you get your own house, then you can spend however much you want on camera gear. :p

Just keep in mind that if you save up for the house first, then when you have a big wad of money, then you will look at it and say..."Wow, I could buy a 1D Mark II!!"

If you're going to use your camera as a tool to make money, then I would buy the 5D. If it's just for pleasure then I would wait until Canon replaces the 5D and pick one up at a discount.

My .02.........;)

Deposit on a House versus 5D Camera

um..

Don't wanna sound harsh but in my book the choice is clear. If not... then you should re-examine your priorities.

With that said... 350D is more than enough to create and still own a home. If the 350D is still serving you well and doesn't limit you, then I see no reason to go to the 5D. In fact, I'd probably spend the money on some nice lenses. Still.. I'd save for the home.

I'm reacting from what I see here in New Jersey, USA. The typical "starter" home is practically out of reach of even professionals earning a reasonable wage. Those of us lucky enough to have purchased a home a few years (prior to the over inflation of homes) ago are now EXTREMELY lucky. I feel bad for my coworkers stuck paying a monthly rent that is higher than my mortgage.

Always listen to your mother!

But what if you could have all 3?..
Get some business cards made, go take some pictures of people's pets in the local park/beach/recreation area, offer 100% money back if your pet isn't happy, get £15 for a 10x8 that cost 99p in the instant machine at your local pharmacy, keep all the names and addresses of your happy customers, gain lots of low risk experience, if you're making £50 per month from your 350D (3/4 snaps - could be just one customer)consistently then you can get the 5D on hire purchase. (you still have your house deposit, you haven't touched that and you're not going to)

When you have your 5D you can get in touch with all your happy customers again for portaits and build up your gear. When you've let the camera bring you a 1Ds mkIII from it's own earnings then you can buy the 80" HD LCD and the PS4. (thinking ahead) + very special extra bonus of a very proud mother.

Everything is justified, harmony is abound.

Mission accomplished.:thumbup::thumbup:

Sadie
sadie1.jpg

Little Hollyhops
holly400.jpg

Unless your 350D is broke or you're going pro...get the house. Save a bit here and there on the side and wait for the 5d update. You make the call, but hte universal rule is "Listen to your mom!" Nothing worse than a "I told you so" from your mom.

I vote PS3 and TV. Nothing like waking up and playing Madden '08 on a 52 inch TV screen. Also think of the wondrous shows you'll watch on that bad boy.

Get a house...you can bring girls "back to your place"...but you can only bring the girls picture "back to your parents place" if you get the 5D.

Sorry, but this is an obvious answer...lol. Save the money for a down payment!

Get a house...you can bring girls "back to your place"...but you can only bring the girls picture "back to your parents place" if you get the 5D.

Sorry, but this is an obvious answer...lol. Save the money for a down payment!

:lmao::thumbup::hail:

Good point!

Thank you everyone for your input, I really didn't expect this kind of response :)

nossie , I like your idea about the pet photography, I was thinking of doing something like that on my lunch break at work. I work in a very popular tourist town, so many photo opportunities to be had of castles and the town.

I don't desperately need a 5D, my 350D does everything I want it to I guess, I just want larger images, and maybe get rid of all my soft images with my 350D .. I think I may go out and get a few lens's instead. I'm certainly not going pro with my photography, I guess I just got caught up in reading reviews.

My plan now is to set up a savings account and transfer a monthly amount into that account for a deposit on a house... It's going to be a long time saving for a house with today's house prices :( But if I save it in another account I won't be tempted to spend it on silly things.
I am also going to have a serious look at pet photography, I'm also going to look at what kind of photo's tourists might want to buy.. I could set up a quick stool in my lunch break next to the river and sell some photo's to tourists. - So long as I don't get arrested or something crazy.

Really, Thank you everyone for your input it really has made me open my eyes!

Thank you everyone for your input, I really didn't expect this kind of response :)

I don't desperately need a 5D, my 350D does everything I want it to I guess, I just want larger images, and maybe get rid of all my soft images with my 350D

The lenses do affect the image for sure but for larger images I suggest you upload a favourite shot to www.foto.com and buy a poster print. I just got some from a 350D + L lens at 40X53cm and they're fine, pushing it a bit but still ok. Try that and see how you feel about the 350D then. If you do the pet thing for low responsibilty experience and a few quid you'll definately get away with it, especially since most prints will be much smaller.

What about putting them into keyrings for a fiver? You'll get 8 from a single 6x4 shot. You'll need to buy a PhotoCutter to match the size of your keyrings. Their pet photo on one side / your advertisement on the other.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back