Ring Flash - DIY?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by arsondesign, May 27, 2008.

1. arsondesign

arsondesign TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So in the next few days I'd really like to make a ring flash, but there are so many ways to go about this, I thought I would ask which way any of you went and which way NOT to go. I'd prefer to make a lamp (I saw a photo on flickr once that I cannot for the life of me track down.. but someone had used a circular knitting lamp) since my speedlite won't be here for a week or so and I've got some shooting I'd like to do with a ring flash/lamp this week.

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Unless you are doing this for the sake of the DIY experience (which is fine.. I enjoy those project too), you are probably better off getting a dated (or used) ring flash. Many will work in manual mode.... some can be had for way south of $100 USD brand new.

Just make sure the trigger voltage is not too high.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/search?q=DIY ringflash

I didn't see it with my search, but the most basic (and clever) ring light I have seen was when a guy too a large piece (3 foot) of board (maybe foam core etc) and cut it into a donut shape. He would then place the light off to the side and use the board to reflect the light onto the subject, then shoot through the hole.

4. arsondesign

arsondesign TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I found an interesting DIY Ring Flash... my 24" iMac! I took this with just a point and shoot (Canon SD900 if you want to know) that I had set on top of an upside down clear glass vase with a 2 second self timer (should have allowed more time, the camera was still rocking slightly)... bad focus and plenty of shake. And not to mention some interesting distortion; my head really isn't that large on top....

Got the idea from this
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10470809@N08/sets/72157600975056927/

[​IMG]

I didn't think it would work very well, especially in just an auto mode on a point and shoot... but it turned out fairly decent (well, for my spur of the moment experiment [a completely dark room would have been better]... no where near the quality I want from an actual ring flash). Just a fun thing I thought someone else might get a kick out of doing.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, nice.
    You can see it in your (beautiful) eyes