Ring flash for recording videos on DSLR?

Maiken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! Im a media student for the past three years, and I have finally decided to buy myself an external flash for my Canon 550D(which might be upgraded to 60D come the new year, depending on how much the flash will cost me). Anyway.
I think I have narrowed it down to a ring flash, because I love the surreal light it gives and I feel it would suit my style the best.
BUT I want a lamp, LED or whatever, to use while recording videos such as vlogs.
My question is: can the ring flash be used as a continious light source or is it... well, just a flash? If someone can recommend me a lamp to use for recording that preferably doesnt cost more than 300-400$ I would love to hear.

Depends on the flash. Some are like speedlights that only flash. Others are like the Alien Bee ABR800 that have a modeling light that stays on but requires a power source. Also, you need a lot more power with constant than with flash. LED bulbs if you need batteries or AC powered lights will probably be what you’re looking for video. I use 250w/s lights for some of my videos, but sometimes they’re not powerful enough.

You "can" use flash for video you just get Buster Keeten(spl) and a silent film flickering look.
Ring flash is most often used for even lighting in close-up shots, frequently in forensics.

Most reactions

Back