Ring Flash Help

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry to post this in 2 sections but I figured it was more than a beginner topic. If I'm not allowed to do this, feel free to delete one of the threads.

So I'm looking into getting a Ring Flash. Right now I currently a decent beginner lighting set up. I have a D80 with 2 SB600's, 2 light stands, a 41" umbrella and a 32" umbrella, and a cactus v4 transmitter with 2 cactus v4 receivers. I've been messing around with this set up for awhile now and I'm intrigued with the new cheaper ring flashes on the market: The Ray ringflash, The Orbis ringflash, and the AlienBee ABR800 ring flash. I've been looking on strobist as well as other reviews and its come down to the AlienBee. My only question is... Can I use the AB Ringflash off camera while still using my Sb600's? Or do I need another cactus receiver? I'm confused. HELP

ringflash are for close-up, shadowless and fit around the lens so why you would want one off camera puzzles me, elaborate pls. H

ringflash are for close-up, shadowless and fit around the lens so why you would want one off camera puzzles me, elaborate pls. H

Because when you're not using it as a ring flash (because who wants every shot to be a ring flash shot) you can put it to work as another light source instead of just having it sit in the corner and be useless.

Nothing puzzling about that.

as I stated, these flash types are designed for close up work, as such they have limited output/range so a cheaper option with more power would be more useful/convenient for off camera use, why pay more for something which limits your ability to light effectively, imo you buy what is needed for specific jobs, that is, unless you have too much money, in which case your pen name is quite apt. H

as I stated, these flash types are designed for close up work, as such they have limited output/range so a cheaper option with more power would be more useful/convenient for off camera use, why pay more for something which limits your ability to light effectively, imo you buy what is needed for specific jobs, that is, unless you have too much money, in which case your pen name is quite apt. H

Hmmm...so an ABR800 320w/s ring flash with a reflector is going to put out less light than a B800 320w/s monolight with a reflector the gives it similar light spread?

And what's close up? 4', 8', 12'?

ABR800 = $399.95 vs. B800 = $279.95 It's $120 more for a ring flash that can easily supplement your kit with ring flash duties or be used as an extra light. As I stated, why pay $399.95 for a light that can do double duty just to let it sit in the corner.

Why can't it light effectively? Dare me to post a link where a person is using it on camera and off, very effectively?

Obviously Harry, your responder did not elaborate in a constructive, civil manner; I will elaborate properly,with the goal of helping you understand. The ring flash you speak of Harry is the macro type of small, lower-powered ring flashes most often used in medical,dental,and forensic photography. You should obviously be forgiven for not knowing about the Alien Bee brand of lighting equipment, which is not a worldwide brand and is not sold in Europe or the UK.

The Alien Bee ring flash units were developed relatively recently, and are rather large units--a weight of 2.5 pounds or so, and larger than a d-slr camera, and much more in line with the power of a smaller monobloc studio flash in the 320 joules range. The Alien Bees distributor is the Paul C. Buff company,and that firm has devised a light modifier named the "Moon Unit", which allows their AB ring light flash to be used much like a "regular" studio flash head or monobloc. It operates off of USA standard 120 volt AC current, or it can be operated off of a portable sine wave inverter/battery system. There are two "Moon Unit" modifiers--a 30 inch and a 56 inch model.Using the ring flash inserted into the Moon Unit modifier enables a large light source, capable of being used much like an umbrella or "fish fryer". The ring flash itself has a 10-inch diameter reflector as standard equipment, so it can provide that flat,dull,shadowless on-axis lighting a ringflash is famous for, but over longer distances than a dental ringflash.

Details can be found at AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

Obviously Harry, your responder did not elaborate in a constructive, civil manner; I will elaborate properly,with the goal of helping you understand. The ring flash you speak of Harry is the macro type of small, lower-powered ring flashes most often used in medical,dental,and forensic photography. You should obviously be forgiven for not knowing about the Alien Bee brand of lighting equipment, which is not a worldwide brand and is not sold in Europe or the UK.

The Alien Bee ring flash units were developed relatively recently, and are rather large units--a weight of 2.5 pounds or so, and larger than a d-slr camera, and much more in line with the power of a smaller monobloc studio flash in the 320 joules range. The Alien Bees distributor is the Paul C. Buff company,and that firm has devised a light modifier named the "Moon Unit", which allows their AB ring light flash to be used much like a "regular" studio flash head or monobloc. It operates off of USA standard 120 volt AC current, or it can be operated off of a portable sine wave inverter/battery system. There are two "Moon Unit" modifiers--a 30 inch and a 56 inch model.Using the ring flash inserted into the Moon Unit modifier enables a large light source, capable of being used much like an umbrella or "fish fryer". The ring flash itself has a 10-inch diameter reflector as standard equipment, so it can provide that flat,dull,shadowless on-axis lighting a ringflash is famous for, but over longer distances than a dental ringflash.

Details can be found at AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

:angel:

Bees were sold in Europe until just recently and it's not like they're the only company that makes a large ring flash.

Profoto Pro Ring 2 Head - 999-481D - 300517

Bees were sold in Europe until just recently and it's not like they're the only company that makes a large ring flash.

Ummm...Bees were sold through a very small European dealer network for about six months,or less as I recall, before Paul himself revoked the agreement. He established a Swiss dealer I think it was, perhaps it was Sweden, and the relationship was short-lived. Currently, Bees are not sold in Europe, and Europe is the home of quite a few professional-grade flash systems. You know, the "Euro-Flash" makers Buff ranted and railed about on dPreview before he got banned there from the lighting forum. Bees would have a hard time competing against European monobloc flashes,and the advantage of having a USA based repair shop would not be much of a selling point in say, Barcelona when one conks out...

So, no, Bees have not really been sold in Europe, unless half a year counts. Besides, all you did was taunt him and offer the wonderful "challenge" of you posting a URL to show him up...not exactly enlightening him, were you?

Ring flash is not widely known outside of studio lighting circles--for most people a "ring flash" means a macro ringlight type flash. Do you for example know what a fish fryer is?? I think Harry might, since he's from the UK, where the "strobist" mentality has not taken over as widely as in the US. Macro ring flash units date way back into the 1970's from Nikon--the studio flash type have remained rather uncommon and rare until Buff produced the world's first cheap one.

I'm enlightened now, Derrel's correct about my assumptions regarding ringflash, AB's are not a brand over here, there are many inferior SF makers but pro's here tend to stick with Bowens/Elinchrome for studio work, lighting with flashguns/candles/stage lights and bedside table lamps is left to the amatuers/hobbyists I'm afraid. There's also no need to post any links to equipment sites as I own several mono lights and numerous modifiers for lighting control and find no need to purchase another light just to add to the collection. I'll google these obscure makes in future. H

Last edited:
I would save your money and get a Ray flash, lighter more portable, not as powerful but you can get good results
one with ray flash
542989324_ftKVV-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back