Ring Flash Help

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by VaE39, Nov 30, 2009.

1. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry to post this in 2 sections but I figured it was more than a beginner topic. If I'm not allowed to do this, feel free to delete one of the threads.

So I'm looking into getting a Ring Flash. Right now I currently a decent beginner lighting set up. I have a D80 with 2 SB600's, 2 light stands, a 41" umbrella and a 32" umbrella, and a cactus v4 transmitter with 2 cactus v4 receivers. I've been messing around with this set up for awhile now and I'm intrigued with the new cheaper ring flashes on the market: The Ray ringflash, The Orbis ringflash, and the AlienBee ABR800 ring flash. I've been looking on strobist as well as other reviews and its come down to the AlienBee. My only question is... Can I use the AB Ringflash off camera while still using my Sb600's? Or do I need another cactus receiver? I'm confused. HELP

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ringflash are for close-up, shadowless and fit around the lens so why you would want one off camera puzzles me, elaborate pls. H

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because when you're not using it as a ring flash (because who wants every shot to be a ring flash shot) you can put it to work as another light source instead of just having it sit in the corner and be useless.

Nothing puzzling about that.

4. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    as I stated, these flash types are designed for close up work, as such they have limited output/range so a cheaper option with more power would be more useful/convenient for off camera use, why pay more for something which limits your ability to light effectively, imo you buy what is needed for specific jobs, that is, unless you have too much money, in which case your pen name is quite apt. H

5. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm...so an ABR800 320w/s ring flash with a reflector is going to put out less light than a B800 320w/s monolight with a reflector the gives it similar light spread?

And what's close up? 4', 8', 12'?

ABR800 = $399.95 vs. B800 = $279.95 It's $120 more for a ring flash that can easily supplement your kit with ring flash duties or be used as an extra light. As I stated, why pay $399.95 for a light that can do double duty just to let it sit in the corner.

Why can't it light effectively? Dare me to post a link where a person is using it on camera and off, very effectively?

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Obviously Harry, your responder did not elaborate in a constructive, civil manner; I will elaborate properly,with the goal of helping you understand. The ring flash you speak of Harry is the macro type of small, lower-powered ring flashes most often used in medical,dental,and forensic photography. You should obviously be forgiven for not knowing about the Alien Bee brand of lighting equipment, which is not a worldwide brand and is not sold in Europe or the UK.

The Alien Bee ring flash units were developed relatively recently, and are rather large units--a weight of 2.5 pounds or so, and larger than a d-slr camera, and much more in line with the power of a smaller monobloc studio flash in the 320 joules range. The Alien Bees distributor is the Paul C. Buff company,and that firm has devised a light modifier named the "Moon Unit", which allows their AB ring light flash to be used much like a "regular" studio flash head or monobloc. It operates off of USA standard 120 volt AC current, or it can be operated off of a portable sine wave inverter/battery system. There are two "Moon Unit" modifiers--a 30 inch and a 56 inch model.Using the ring flash inserted into the Moon Unit modifier enables a large light source, capable of being used much like an umbrella or "fish fryer". The ring flash itself has a 10-inch diameter reflector as standard equipment, so it can provide that flat,dull,shadowless on-axis lighting a ringflash is famous for, but over longer distances than a dental ringflash.

Details can be found at AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

7. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :angel:

Bees were sold in Europe until just recently and it's not like they're the only company that makes a large ring flash.

Profoto Pro Ring 2 Head - 999-481D - 300517

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

9. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm enlightened now, Derrel's correct about my assumptions regarding ringflash, AB's are not a brand over here, there are many inferior SF makers but pro's here tend to stick with Bowens/Elinchrome for studio work, lighting with flashguns/candles/stage lights and bedside table lamps is left to the amatuers/hobbyists I'm afraid. There's also no need to post any links to equipment sites as I own several mono lights and numerous modifiers for lighting control and find no need to purchase another light just to add to the collection. I'll google these obscure makes in future. H

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  10. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I would save your money and get a Ray flash, lighter more portable, not as powerful but you can get good results
    one with ray flash
    [​IMG]