Ring Flash Questions

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking into getting a Ring Flash. Right now I currently a decent beginner lighting set up. I have a D80 with 2 SB600's, 2 light stands, a 41" umbrella and a 32" umbrella, and a cactus v4 transmitter with 2 cactus v4 receivers. I've been messing around with this set up for awhile now and I'm intrigued with the new cheaper ring flashes on the market: The Ray ringflash, The Orbis ringflash, and the AlienBee ABR800 ring flash. I've been looking on strobist as well as other reviews and its come down to the AlienBee. My only question is... Can I use the AB Ringflash off camera while still using my Sb600's? Or do I need another cactus receiver? I'm confused. HELP

The abringflash can be used handheld, mounted,or on a tripod so I don't think you would need another receiever but I am not 100% sure on that.
By the way you have any sample shots of you present setup? portraits I am curious to see I know I have seen alot of people using the ring flash for model shoots.

* Sorry that I cannot provide you with anymore information regarding your question *

A ring flash isn't really designed to be used off-camera. Not sure why you'd want to do this, a ringflash is known for its ability to produce shadow-free lighting but you'll lose that charachteristic if you move it off camera, as the light won't surround the axis of the lens anymore.

That said I'd assume that a ringflash, designed to be mounted on the camera, would have some sort of hotshoe adapter or PC connector/port. If you wanted it off-camera you should be able to just use another reciever on it like you would a speedlight, you just might need a specific adapter. .

Thanks for your input. I wasn't planning on shooting off camera for the ABR800. I was just wondering if I could put the cactus transmitter on the camera and just put 3 cactus receivers, 1 on each flash and 1 on the ABR800 so I would have the ability to move it wherever I wanted.

I was afraid that if I mounted the ABR800 onto the camera I wouldn't be able to also trigger my sb600's off camera

That I am not sure of.

I'd assume if you have a PC to hotshoe adapter, you can run a PC cord from the ringflash to the hotshoe adapter, and then still put your cactus transmitter on top. That way you'll fire the ringflash and also get the signal to the cactus transmitter to the two slaves.

Ah that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you!

You're welcome. Be sure to put up some pictures if you do get one.

A ring flash isn't really designed to be used off-camera. Not sure why you'd want to do this, a ringflash is known for its ability to produce shadow-free lighting but you'll lose that charachteristic if you move it off camera, as the light won't surround the axis of the lens anymore.

That said I'd assume that a ringflash, designed to be mounted on the camera, would have some sort of hotshoe adapter or PC connector/port. If you wanted it off-camera you should be able to just use another reciever on it like you would a speedlight, you just might need a specific adapter. .

Because the ABR800 does a really nice job at doubling as just another light, especially with something like the PCB moon unit modifier for it. Kind of like a ring light/ beauty dish combo.

Most reactions

Back