Ring Flash - well, almost.

Azuth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had an old flash unit kicking around for ages that I keep thinking "Surely I could put that to better use." Well, yesterday I tried. Taking about $30.00 (AUS) worth of parts, plus a generic flash unit (which could probably be picked up for another $30 on ebay) I decided to try to build a ring flash.

I visited this site on the net to see it had been done before and that it could offer reasonable results. http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm I just thought it was ugly and a little impractical.

Whilst not a true ring flash, technically more of a ring reflector, I'm eager to see what kind of results I can get.

How I made it:
1: Pulled apart my flash unit and essentially broke it in half, taking out the flash bulb and reflector, the capacitor and leaving the control and power pack.

2: I cut a hole in the center of a 100mm PVC pipe cap ($3.00) and fitted it with the screw on 52mm ring from an after market lens hood. ($15.00)

3: Using some epoxy I mounted another piece of PVC pipe ($2.00) in the middle so I now had a basic lens mountable ring.

4: I cut a hole in the outside edge of the ring and mounted the flashbulb and its reflector pointing in (remembering in a moment of genius to figure out where the top of the ring would be when mounted). I mounted the capacitor next to it inside a small plastic bottle I had kicking around.

5: Using some stiff foil ($3.00) I covered the inside of the ring, both sides and back.

6: Reconnected the wires, tidied up with some heat shrink and gave it a quick coat of paint (unfortunately I used gloss as it's what I had) I'll take it back to a matte finish.

The results

Well, I'm yet to see how it performs, but it looks like it may do the job.

Just finished
rf1.jpg

Mounted on my 300D - 50mm 1.8 lens
rf2.jpg

Pointing at a mirror
rf3.jpg

I know it will be more powerful at the top, but since others have achieved reasonable results in a similar fashion I'm still hopeful it will work as intended. I'll post some pics when I put it to use.

Good job! And I would definitely like to see some pics too

Wow, that's a great idea, nice work, and very cheap. I'd love to hear how it works out for you. Please post some more pictures when you get a chance!

Hhhhhmmm, makes me think!! Post some pics you have taken with that set up!!

Looks pretty sweet by the way!!

Excellent engineering of a simple idea.

One small improvement I can recommend is to add a thin diffuser around the reflector. You can use a thin, 0,5mm plexi glass that is matt white and cut a ring that fits over the diffuser.

The diffuser will help soften the light and all manufactured ring flashes have this. Otherwise, the intensity of the light might wash white the pictures and increase the contrast beyond normal.

Once more, an excellent construction.

Good for you for making it happen. They say that "Good ideas are a dime a dozen, but it takes a special kind of person to make them happen."

The idea with ring flash is to light the macro subject without shadows. Even with it being stronger on the top, I think it will accomplish this.

Now lets see some sample shots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back