Ring Mount Questions

monkeypox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again!

I have a Canon XSi and have a few questions.

My first post directed me to the FAQ page and I did some searching but can’t find a definitive answer, or at least one I completely understand.

I have purchased an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM and I am planning on purchasing a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens this weekend.

It is my understanding that I don’t actually need a Canon Tripod Mount Ring B for the EF 100mm f/2.8, but that it wouldn’t hurt to have.

My question is do I need a Canon Tripod Mount Ring for the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6, and is one made for it?

All I can find is the Canon Tripod Mount Ring A II For 70-200mm f/4L Lens.

Will this work or am I just not understanding what to look for. I am assuming the 300mm lens is a different diameter than the 200mm, but I don’t really know, or if it even has a not rotating portion on which to clamp the ring.

I have no idea of what constitutes “heavy” in a lens, so I may not even need a ring mount at all, but better safe than sorry.

Reading the FAQ’s has indicated that a heavy lens stresses the mount on the camera body unless a mounting ring is used, so a little insurance in the form of a mounting ring is not out of the question.

I will get a price break if I order the lenses and ring(s) at the same time, but no point in getting the mount rings if they are not needed.

Thank You

I don't think that the 70-300 or 100mm lenses are considered 'heavy' lenses...which is probably why they don't have specific tripod mounts. As for whether or not the 'Tripod Mount Ring A II' will work...I don't know. If not, you may be able to find an off brand tripod ring, or even rig something up yourself...but I personally wouldn't worry about it...at least not until you actually use the gear yourself and see if there is a problem or not.

Most reactions

Back