River Overlook-advice?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pvclobster, Jun 17, 2010.

1. pvclobster

pvclobster TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I took a bunch of photos at the river overlook today and was really disappointed with what I came home with. This photo was one of the best of them (yes, it's HDR because the exposure was weird and it has other issues, but I'm more interested in the composition). Advice on what I can do to make composition of landscape photos look like more than just a random snapshot? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not bad.. for an HDR though, it lacks contrast and 'oomph'

I played with it a bit and cropped most of the buildings out of the bottom. Had a few brews tonight so I may have botched it a bit but I think it just needs some editing punch.

[​IMG]

3. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1. You have nothing interesting happening in the sky.
    #2. You have nothing interesting happening in the foreground. Hell, there isn't a foreground at all.

Correct these and you'll have a good photo.

4. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know. The hillside in the distance can make an interesting focus. I like the contrast of the green foreground trees vs. the yellow of the hill. The picture definitely needs more contrast, though. You might play with the "Brightness/Contrast" settings in Photoshop.

Would you mind posting a higher resolution version? I could show you what I mean composition wise then. The current version wouldn't scale well.

Here's what I'm talking about with the brightness/contrast. I lowered the brightness just a little and added a lot of contrast. It gets rid of that "foggy" look (yes, I know it makes the town over-exposed).

[​IMG]

5. Nod

Nod TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it needs less sky and more town. And some sharpening & contrast.

6. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont think its too bad, I like the buildings. its nothing like florida here lol. If possable i (myself) would try to get more water into the forground. Is there a bridge over the river you could get to? Maybe incoperate into the shot? Might help might not.