Road Marker

Bauhaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted this in the normal show your work place, and then i realized this was here so I'd like to post it for more of a critque. I was using illford400 + red filter.

file0053.jpg

danalec99 said:
lol. my sentiments exactly.

it's really cool, but its ominence kind of scares away any critique, i think.
i like the 3 tone background, i like the wierd play between the noisy sky and the rusty post thing, i like the dual quality of the stems (the light thin stem against large dark background at top, and the stems surrounded by light things defined only by their meager shadows at bottom), the gradient of the sky along with the lighting on the post.

really, most of all i think it's ominous. there's not a lot one can relate to in the image.

StvShoop said:
danalec99 said:
there's not a lot one can relate to in the image.

so its weak as a photo? since no one can grab the feeling behind it?

I go to an art school Im used to this kinda stuff, I'd like to sell my work on the street, so i want to know if its sellable.

Well, there's really only one way to find out if an image is "sellable". :wink: I commented on this image in the other thread, so you know what I think of it.

What one viewer may call "ominous", another (like me!) would call it stark and dramatic. Either way, what's important is that your image has elicited an emotional response from viewers, so if you want to put your stuff out there, this is what you're after, right? :D

Always keep in mind that art is nothing if not subjective, and if you post an image you think is quality here and get 1-2 negative comments and 1-2 positive comments, hang onto the positive comments and believe that you're on the right track.

alot of movement in this picture, along the two well-defined diagonals. the stems draw the eye upward to the left, the borders of the sign pull you back down and left-center.
beautiful contrast.
nice job.

Bauhaus said:
StvShoop said:
danalec99 said:
there's not a lot one can relate to in the image.

so its weak as a photo? since no one can grab the feeling behind it?

no, it's not a weak photo. i was looking at it very physically last night. i mean to say that i can't picture myself inhabiting the place in that photo and touching the post and plants and stuff. i look at it as more of a formally abstracted piece. the play between tangible reality and abstraction is pretty interesting here.

don't use my advice to decide not to sell your stuff! i'm still in art school too :)

I dig it. Great choice of film/filter for this effect. It is in fact both stark and ominous. That isnt bad. Mount Denali is ominous and beutiful. I would say this is slightly (subjective opionion alert) post apocolyptic in feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back