Road Trip to 15 National Parks, what do I need?

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. This summer I am going on a month-long road trip and visiting 15 national parks. We will be seeing much of the western half of the US including the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Mt. Rainier, etc. I have a basic Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens, along with a 55-200 lens that also came with it. I also have a monopod and basic camera bag that holds both lenses and camera.

I am wondering what kind of other gear you guys think I will need to get some great shots on this trip. I was thinking about a tripod, but that may get heavy on longer hikes. Also thought about a fanny pack to be able to easily carry and switch out lenses. Are there any lenses that are a must for getting good pics of nature, landscapes and possibly animals we see on our trip?

Any other comments or questions are welcome! If any of you guys have done a trip like this and have tips or info that would be great. Thanks a ton.

Travis

A tripod is a must. You might think now it's going to be heavy and get in the way but it is truly essential. If you want those awesome waterfall/river shots where the river is nice and smooth and dreamy you will NEED a tripod. If you want nice sharp landscapes at f/11 iso 100 and tack sharp you will need it. I am so thankful now that I brought it on my recent trip to north carolina. A monopod won't allow for 5second shots either.

For a bag you might want to look into a sling bag or something. You will really want to check out the Lowepro Slingshot bags. They are absolutely amazing for traveling.

18mm should be wide enough but also remember if it's within budget you can always rent a lens. Lensprotogo.com and lensrentals.com are great sites to rent lenses and the prices are pretty good. You might also want to check out a Polarizing filter and maybe a ND or something. GL and enjoy your trip!

TJ

A tripod is a must. You might think now it's going to be heavy and get in the way but it is truly essential. If you want those awesome waterfall/river shots where the river is nice and smooth and dreamy you will NEED a tripod. If you want nice sharp landscapes at f/11 iso 100 and tack sharp you will need it. I am so thankful now that I brought it on my recent trip to north carolina. A monopod won't allow for 5second shots either.

For a bag you might want to look into a sling bag or something. You will really want to check out the Lowepro Slingshot bags. They are absolutely amazing for traveling.

18mm should be wide enough but also remember if it's within budget you can always rent a lens. Lensprotogo.com and lensrentals.com are great sites to rent lenses and the prices are pretty good. You might also want to check out a Polarizing filter and maybe a ND or something. GL and enjoy your trip!

TJ

Thanks TJ. I will definitely be buying a tripod then. Looking forward to finally having one and being able to get some cool shots with it instead of always saying "dang, wish i had a tripod to get this shot". I don't know what ND is, but will look into a Polarizing filter (I think i have used one before on a friend's camera when shooting friends wakeboarding). Thanks for the info!

the biggest SD cards you can get a hold of.

Extra batteries.

Sensor cleaning kit, This is the kit I keep in my bag. Had to use it once so far.
http://www.green-clean.at/en/camera/sensor-cleaning-system/

lens cleaning wipes. I keep the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Moist-Lens-Cleaner-Cloths/dp/B000LC5V9M"]nikon brand[/ame] in my bag.

Car adapter for your batteries to let you charge them while driving. Even a power converter to let you plug in a laptop computer.

Netbook instead of a laptop at least to allow you to download your pictures off the cards and view on something other than the LCD on the camera. Gives you a better way of seeing your pictures is all. Not the best, just better.

Rain cover for the camera and the bag if it didn't have one.

Bulb blower for the lenses. Lets you control the dust a little better before having to use wipes on them.

Tamron 1.4X teleconvertor

Go to your library and sign out "Understanding Exposure" from Bryan Peterson. If you want, buy it. I seem to get it about twice a year to review it.

GND filter - Seriously here. Especially if you are going to be taking landscape shots. Even if it's a Hoya GND (Graduated neutral density)

CPL (circular polarizing lens)

Just some of the things that cross my mind.

Last edited:
The graduated neutral density filter is half gray, fading to clear. You commonly use it to darken the sky so it's closer in exposure to the ground part of the image.

Good suggestions so far. I'll strongly second the need for a tripod.
Circular polarizing filter would be on my list as well.
I would consider and ultra wide angle lens, something like the Sigma 10-20mm.

For a month long trip, memory will surely be an issue.
I did a week in a few of the mountain region national parks up here and I filled up all my memory cards and then some. It would certainly be handy to have a laptop/netbook to dump your photos onto.

These guys have covered the photo parts of the trip.

CAR:
Carry extra water for the radiator
Carry extra oil
2- tire inflator kits - check your spare before you leave
good snacks, extra water to drink (or what you drink) - a small cooler

first aid kit, with a smaller one for your hiking pack, including moleskin, bug spray, suntan lotion, TP (toilet paper);)

good shoes, comfortable clothing, extra pair of sunglasses.
Maps - good maps, maybe even a compass - if you know how to use it.

I spent 3 summers traveling the lower 48. It was a blast, something never to forget.
The west is huge, have lots of fun!!!

tripod, duh, and DON'T SKIMP ON THIS blow serious money on it, $60 isn't serious money. And extra batteries/memory cards. That's about it.

Maybe a 10-20 if you're going to go hiking, otherwise skip it. Your kit lenses at f/8 and f/11 look great anyway, so i wouldn't bother buying new lenses.

I'm guessing you're not intending to do anything wacky like long exposures at night or something, which is why the kit lenses will be fine.

1) I echo the tripod requirement.
2) You may want something wider than that 18mm for those incredible landscapes. I love my Sigma 10-20, but there are other options too.
3) Circular Polarizer
4) Tons of memory
5) I don't know your budget, but a longer lens would be nice for wildlife

i do a fair amount of travelling with work on business, i use them as "free" vacations by giving up my weekends to fly in early and sightsee.

if i could take any two lenses with me on my d90 its as follows;
nikkor 18-200mm
sigma 10-20mm

and i have pro lenses to choose from. i've got 50mm f1.4, 24-70 + 70-200mm f2.8's and other long sharp primes.
The reason i pick those two time and time again, size, weight and cost.
the 18-200mm is a bit of change, but its not a $2000 pro lens.
that lens is decently sharp, and has a great focal range. it seriously is on my camera 90% of the time when travelling cause its sorta the swiss army knife of lenses. its long when you need it to be, but can do wide as well.
the sigma is a great lens, wider than the nikon, decently sharp, and costs 1/2 of what the nikkor equivalent costs.
the two lenses pack up well, and are great to carry around.

i had a 16GB card, and 2 8GB cards along with some 4's and 2's from a while back. it gives me 2000+ photos. My grip while adding a little size to the camera ensures i have enough batteries with me all the time.

i second the tripod and polarizer. ND filters are good, though you can try and replicate a lot of the effect in post if you know how to use gradients in PS. i know its not perfect, but it does save you carrying around an extra filter, and those photos where you just cant get a filter on in time.

get a good bag. one thats easy to access stuff including spare lenses. tripod holder would be a plus

I have done 2 - month long trips like your talking about. 15 parks in 30 days is a really hecktic schedule!! Including drive times between parks that does not leave alot. Whats going to be important is very very good preplanning. Also have to remember if doing this in the summer there is going to be very harsh light from mid morning to afternoon. So the conditions will not be optimal during those periods.

My first trip over a month included Petrified Forrest, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, and Escalante Staircase.

My second trip included Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton (Canadian), Devils Tower, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave.

If you have a laptop make sure you have a car charger for it. If you don't pick up a 85 to 250 watt power inverter. The inverter will allow computer charging and battery charging. I used one for both of my trips. I had one 85 watt for first trip Worked great! Second trip picked up a 250 watt inverter that would charge 2 things at once (low power items like battery chargers).

One thing to remember is several of the parks have no showers inside the park (if your camping). Normally there are some showers in stores right outside the park (pay showers).

As for photo gear I think you have a very good set up. Camera with decent capabilities and light weight. Since your on a crop sensor the 200mm in the long end is not so bad. You can skip picking up another lens (and its weight) by taking several shots and stitching them. A tripod is a must. So is a good CPL. If your going in the summer with strong light. Neutral Density filters are goign to be needed. A graduated ND filter will be handy.

I have done 2 - month long trips like your talking about. 15 parks in 30 days is a really hecktic schedule!! Including drive times between parks that does not leave alot. Whats going to be important is very very good preplanning. Also have to remember if doing this in the summer there is going to be very harsh light from mid morning to afternoon. So the conditions will not be optimal during those periods.
Good point. If you are travelling from place to place, you probably won't be leaving yourself a lot of time at each location, which could mean your photos will suffer.

For example, most shots of famous landscapes are best at a certain time of day. If you show up in the afternoon, to a location that only looks it's best in the morning...then you probably won't get the shot you are thinking of. Of course, you can get creative and find new ways to shoot it...but it just isn't the same.

The point is, that with some investigation and smart planing, you can optimize your shooting opportunities.

For example, when I spent a week in Jasper/Banff, I was with a local photographer who knew what time of day was best for most of the 'money shots'...and even then, I went back to some of them, two or three days in a row before getting 'perfect' conditions.

I would rent the following:
battery grip + extra batteries
ultra wide angle
400mm f/4
1.4x tele
circular polarizer
graduated ND filter
tripod
extra memory cards
a backpack to carry it all

my gem would be the backpack... it's a way better option for hiking than the one shoulder jobs.

Also, study up on HDR and practice before you leave. If you don't want to get a CPL and graduated ND, HDR can be a valid substitute, as long as you're not shooting moving stuff.

Most reactions

Back