Roadside Whites Part 1

Dioboleque

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I saw these on the roadside one day while driving so I went back the next day to take some pics. I'm not sure what they are, this is the first time I've seen flowers like these... I had posted some pics of wild yellow flowers which are very similar, but the white ones were bigger. Likes? Dislikes? Suggestions? Thanks! :sillysmi:

click for bigger

are these correctly exposed? it was a sunny morning with clouds and i had to wait till the sun was behind the clouds to take these cause otherwise the whites were blown.

how's the composition? the only thing that stands out to me is the cut off petal in #3.

aside from that, i'd like to hear what u think in general.

only pp was to up the contrast a bit. :sillysmi:

Something inside me says that the whites COULD be a tad whiter.
As to exposure ... tough question. With some direct sunlight the whites would have blown, I am just sure, so you did right in waiting for a cloud to come and be a natural diffuser for you. Now, however, I feel you COULD try to carefully work on the levels a bit and try to get them just this smidge whiter.

Don't ask me any flower names. I haven't got a clue as to what roadside beauties you found here. But they are beautiful, indeed, and you captured them well, and framed them well in 1 and 2. Photo 3 has that little flaw that you picked out for yourself, too, but then, along with the WHOLE blossom in 1, and two blossoms in 2, a "fill the frame" photo (3 comes close to that concept) would go nicely, as well! So maybe fill it even more, but then with 3 you must up the highlights a little... (I think).

As usual, LaFoto has said it very well. I will add however, that I think perhaps #2 could have been improved by a slightly different shooting position which would have allowed you to look a little more into the bloom of both flowers.

Thanks for the comments! I downloaded GIMP but I'm not sure how to use it just yet. I'll keep the levels in mind for when I do! :sillysmi:

I'm not sure, but they may be a poppy called "Paper White Poppy" and in the US I think they are rare. Still, I'm not a 100% on this.

I just found it! They are "Mexican White Poppy" & the yellow ones, u'll never guess, are "Mexican Yellow Poppy". Thanks for the comment! :sillysmi:

Most reactions

Back