Roar Before The 24 2018

CaboWabo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Roar Before The 24 - Rolex 24 hours practice Daytona International Speedway
Please comment so I can figure out if I am on the right path or what I am doing wrong

39547978951_b7c4f0515c_c.jpg

38671425115_8dfce9ee67_c.jpg

39518334042_9647b9c4d3_c.jpg

27791128329_fdace7d73a_c.jpg

39547976991_793fb7dd48_c.jpg

I would shoot/crop to leave more space in front of the car than behind. That visually leave the car room/space to drive into.
But some do opposite, more space behind the car, on the idea that it shows speed.
> IOW there are different schools of thought, and you have to determine which you belong to, or which the particular image fits into better.

Nice panning.

Nice shots!

I agree with @ac12 in leaving more room in the front than in the back, very subtle though...like you did in #2, that’s great!

Nice pictures Cabowabo :encouragement:

I think I will try your ideas and crop them to see them differently , I am all new at the crop game so I will try to differently to see how it goes

#5, The car is too close to the bottom of the frame. I prefer a bit of "something" there. It feels off balance with the car so low in the image.

Some good tips already. Try playing around with shutter speed as well to get different kinds of images. Use slower shutter to get that motion blur background and give a real sense of speed. It will also show how good your panning is.

These are some really beautiful cars. The suggestion of experimenting with different crops is a good one. You can change a photo dramatically with a crop.

I tried to crop this one a little different , is this what everyone is suggesting?
39592182362_256e7a74d9_c.jpg

I tried to crop this one a little different , is this what everyone is suggesting?
39592182362_256e7a74d9_c.jpg

Much better. Just adjust the level, its leaning to the right a bit.

Leave MORE space in front of the car....not centered, but with more room for the car to "move into". This type of placement of a race car within the frame is often critical to the success of many racing images.

Honestly...I would slooooooow the shutter wayyy down on most of these panning shots, to sublimate the ugly backgrounds so often seen at racetracks. Speeds depend on distance, direct of the car across the frame, and size of the car within the frame.

Nice shots. Good Going :)

Put the autofocus point on the car, and leave plenty of room around the car.
If you have cars going L>R and L<R, shifting the AF point for each direction will be a PiA, so just use the center AF point.
I find it too hard to crop fast moving action in the camera.
So I shoot sports with space around the subject, then crop the image later.

Most reactions

Back